Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

novice runner (how do I start?)

(12 Posts)
earlynite Sat 06-Sep-08 22:49:27

I have been thinking about starting running. However I am very unfit blush and would lik some advice on how far how long I should be running to start with? So come on all you fitness freaks! Help me out! I am really need to lose the weight that has crept on in the five years since I had my DS.

Tommy Sat 06-Sep-08 22:53:33

I did a 5k run in July starting from nothing.

The first time I went out, I ran for a minute then walked until I got my breath back (blush) then built it up to 2 minutes. The next week I did 5 minutes and so on.

I managed the 5k in 30 minutes after about 12 weeks of training which I was pretty chuffed with smile

Doodle2U Sat 06-Sep-08 22:54:43

Run for 1 minute then walk for 1 minute. Repeat 10 times.

Rest day.

Run for 2 minutes, walk for two minutes. Repeat 10 times.

Rest day.

Work your way up like this until you're running for about half an hour which should see you completing around 5K.

It's how i did it anyway and it seemed to work for me smile

giddykipper Sat 06-Sep-08 22:55:52

I need to do the same earlynite - I need to get fit and the only chance I have is after DS is in bed. I really struggle with motivation though, I've never been able to stick with it. I was told to run for 30 seconds, walk for 1 minute then gradually increase the running and reduce the walking.

funnypeculiar Sat 06-Sep-08 22:55:56

<lurks, panting heavily smile>

tortoise Sat 06-Sep-08 22:58:18

Try this. I started doing this running plan last year. I had to give up but plan to re-start it soon.

hf128219 Sat 06-Sep-08 22:59:07

Make sure you buy good trainers smile

Tommy Sat 06-Sep-08 23:01:38

oh yes - good trainers are a must - go to a proper sport shop and get some advice

giddykipper Sun 07-Sep-08 08:15:37

Have you got an iPod? You can download music to go with the couch-to-5k plans so that you don't have to time what you're doing. Seems like a good idea.

Anyone fancy buddying up for the couch-to-5k?

Furball Sun 07-Sep-08 08:20:07

download this onto MP3 player. He will tll you when to run/walk right through from your couch to 5k in 9 weeks [yikes]

I;ve done it and so have loads of us from the couch to 5k thread which has been going since christmas. The podcasts make it easy [honest]

giddykipper Sun 07-Sep-08 08:22:21

Didn't realise there was already a thread.

giddykipper Sun 07-Sep-08 08:29:38

New thread started here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now