Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does my Dad have MRSA?

(6 Posts)
1legmummy Sat 06-Sep-08 22:15:30

My Dad went into hospital 3 weeks ago with broken wrist.

He had it pinned and everything seemed fine.

A week later he went to his doctors app in terrible pain where they moved the pin off a nerve.

The next day my Mum had to take him to A&E where he was re-admitted. An infection was diagnosed and evry other day he has surgery to flush the wound. The pins have been removed and the wrist has been left to heal deformed.

In amongst this my Fathers level of care has been disgusting. The nurses are so understaffed they are always arguing and are terribly rude and horrible to my Dad.

He has been told he has a stafforious skin infection. I think my Dad has spelt it wrong and it should be staphorious.

Is this MRSA? and can we ask for my Dad to be moved?

Thanks

AvenaLife Sat 06-Sep-08 22:18:22

MRSA is a resistant strain of stapholococcus, they would have swabbed the wound and sent the swabs off to the lab. Infections are a risk of any sort of surgery so it's not necessarily MRSA. Maybe he needs to have a chat to his consultant. I would speak to the ward manager about the nurses though.

i hope he's feeling better soon.

madamy Sat 06-Sep-08 22:18:39

A staph. aureus skin infection is very common - it's not MRSA unless it's specifically been identified as Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus.

See this NHS direct link for more info.

1legmummy Sat 06-Sep-08 22:31:14

We have spoken to the ward manager they say a particular incident is being looked into.

In short, my Dad was opposite a man who is quite obviously a mental health patient and causes quite alot of work for the nurses.

One night, early on, my Dad buzzed 4 times and an hour later when he had resorted to shouting in pain to get someone to come. A nurse appeared at the end of the bed and said "language" she then made him crawl in pain where she stayed at the end of the bed with his morphine.

The next time she gave him pain relief she could not have been nicer - I think she thought he was the other man.

Also loads of other things going on, obviously because they are so short staffed

honeyandlemon Sun 07-Sep-08 23:47:36

I hope your Dad is feeling better. Just one thought - to be honest, the nurses' approach is not to do with short-staffing, this is plain bad nursing. I hope you and your Dad get both an explanation and an apology. It also shouldn't take long for them to look into this. Good luck.

1legmummy Mon 08-Sep-08 21:05:17

Thanks ladies, my Dad came home today grin

They could not wait to get rid of him.

Thanks for all your help xxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now