Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Odd sores on tongue.

(10 Posts)
Goober Sat 06-Sep-08 20:52:59

They start small and over about a week they get bigger then shrink again. They are sore, sometimes so sore that I can't eat. Nothing like an ulcer to look at. The area becomes very flat, red and smooth and sometimes cracks too. The one I have right now is in the centre of my tongue, but I have had them on the edge before which is real agony.
Does anybody get similar? Or know what it might be?

TIA.

Bluestocking Sat 06-Sep-08 21:00:27

Sounds like geographic tongue. I get it sometimes. Both the dentist and GP have told me that no-one really knows why this happens, although it may be associated with mild vitamin B deficiency (can't remember which B, sorry). My dentist's advice, which did help, was to scrub my tongue gently with a soft toothbrush, and use a saltwater mouthwash as often as I felt like. HTH.

girlandboy Sat 06-Sep-08 21:09:27

I had something like this. Roundish patches where the taste buds disappeared, which were incredibly sore. My doctor prescribed a gel (I think it was Daktarin) because apparently it was a fungal infection, (but not oral thrush because that gives you white patches). It cleared up in a few days.

ladytophamhatt Sat 06-Sep-08 21:11:19

Oh I've been getting a really sore tongue too.

Right on the tip, really bloody painful.
I have 2 little spots that are realy realy sore...it feels like a pin being suck in my tongue.

ladytophamhatt Sat 06-Sep-08 21:12:36

really really even

Goober Sat 06-Sep-08 22:04:29

This patch I have at the moment is about 10x 6mm and bad.

SmallShips Sat 06-Sep-08 22:31:48

i had something similar sounding when pregnant but only on the sides of my tongue, GP said it was iron and B12 deficiany. I havent had them since taking multi vits with iron.

Goober Sat 06-Sep-08 22:32:56

I am taking multi vitamins with iron too.

SmallShips Sun 07-Sep-08 15:53:16

perhaps a fungal infection, if you are taking vits and eating well. I did tend to get more sores when i was run down. Are you feeling ok aside from the tongue? Perhaps a visit to the GP or dentist might give you more of an idea? You have my Sympathy anyway, its sore and annoying!

Goober Sun 07-Sep-08 16:25:19

Am very run down. Yes, I have lots of negative stuff going on right now. That never helps does it. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now