Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anyone had experiences (good/bad) with naturopath?

(19 Posts)
mollipops Wed 12-Feb-03 06:20:41

I'm thinking about going to a naturopath/iridologist as I feel tired all the time and get moody etc. Just wondered if any mumsnetters have had experiences either good, bad or indifferent with it? Did you get a recommended "tonic", and did it work? Were they on target with how you felt, or did you feel it was guesswork/good listening? Did you feel ripped off, or like it was really worthwhile and valuable? Any input most appreciated!

bundle Wed 12-Feb-03 11:55:57

I wouldn't go near these people...buy yourself a tonic (floradix keeps getting a good press on here) and treat yourself to something frivolous & uplifting with the money you would have spent on a consultation

jasper Wed 12-Feb-03 13:25:50

I wouldn't go near these people either.
There is a MASSIVE placebo effect in paying to have a consultation with someone who listens to you and is nice to you. The more you pay, the greater the effect.

IMO if you have kids, feeling tired and moody is par for the course unfortunately

I have felt a little better since a group of four friends have made a firm commitment to go out for dinner once a week.

Hope you feel a bit better soon.

Enid Wed 12-Feb-03 14:35:29

Well I go to an acupuncturist - mainly for migraines but she also puts needles in for energy levels, hormonal fluctuations etc and I think its brilliant! Ok, maybe it is a placebo but it really really works. I must say I'd not bother with an iridologist - but I have only had good experiences with homeopaths/acupuncturists so maybe try those??

hmb Wed 12-Feb-03 14:45:26

An interesting 'anti' iridology site is

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/iridology.html

Worth having a look at before you cough up the cash.

bundle Wed 12-Feb-03 14:48:51

fabulous hmb! especially the link at the bottom to confessions of a former iridologist

hmb Wed 12-Feb-03 15:07:40

I aim to please, or failing that at least to amuse

tomps Thu 13-Feb-03 00:24:28

As a 'believer' in complementary healthcare, I think consulting a naturopath would be a good idea, as a lot of energy problems can be remedied by diet - which is what a naturopath will advise you on (as well as homeopathy and herbal remedies). But then you need to make the time to look after yourself and sort out your diet etc, which is the tricky bit ! Iridology sounds like b******s IMO but naturopathy is sound as long as you find a good practitioner link hth

Frieda Thu 13-Feb-03 10:17:31

I'm normally a supporter of complementary medicine and have had good experiences of both homoeopathy and acupuncture. I don't know a lot about naturopathy, however my sister tried it once and spent about £80 on a consultation plus some herbs, where she was told she was allergic (or had intolerances) to about 25 different substances. She was violently sick after taking the herbs, and it turned out subsequently that she was seriously ill with something quite different. While I'm not saying that this is an indication that naturopathy doesn't work, I feel complementary therapy shouldn't replace conventional medicine, especially not for something that might be a serious illness. And always best to go by personal recommendation and check out the practitioner's credentials before parting with your money.

Frieda Thu 13-Feb-03 10:22:49

And I have to say, too, that I am a bit sceptical about taking mysterious "herbs" that come from who knows where.

hmb Thu 13-Feb-03 10:38:06

I share your worries. Just because something is herbal( 'natural' it doesn't mean that it is safe. Deadly nightshade is herbal, but it can kill you. St Johns Wort can interact with many conventional drugs, and there id some evidence it can lower the seziure threashold for patients with epilepsy, but it is sold with very few controls.

Jimjams Thu 13-Feb-03 10:50:00

I'm training to be a homeopath although I have to say that being moody etc may just be par for the course. If there is something "wrong" then I think complementary therapy can help (and I'm all for conventional as well- both have strengths and weaknesses) but if it's just lack of sleep- then all that will help is more sleep- not herbs

I have seen homeopathy work wonders at times- especially on ds1- in fact I used to be a total sceptic "grain of salt in the english channel" type person but seeing it work spectacularly changed my opinion. However this was still within the realms of what it could claim to do.

If you have general worries about your lifestyle and want to change your diet, work out what is stressing you etc and you think it would be helpful to tal through that with someone then I think a naturopath would be a good person to visit. On the other hand you may be able to work out your own problems and do something yourself (night out with friends once a month sounds a great idea)

mollipops Fri 14-Feb-03 08:39:06

Lots to think about here - yes I do need more sleep I think, and I know my diet is pretty crappy sometimes. Maybe I should just try to eat more fruit and veg and see how I feel. Whenever I try to get an early night though, dh sees it as an invitation for something else not involving sleep IYKWIM!

jasper Fri 14-Feb-03 22:08:25

mollipops don't want to depress you but I eat a TON of fruit and veg and am permanantly knackered
In recent months I have been following the healthiest diet of my life. I feel loads better being lighter but am still very tired except when at work when tiredness is not an option.

JJ Sat 15-Feb-03 18:29:17

Have you had your thyroid checked? It might not be the answer, but is easy to correct if it is. If you've got any sort of family history of thyroid problems (anyone taking thyroxine), then go ahead and have it done. It's a simple blood test.

Even with thyroxine, nothing beats sleep. Not that sleep is a substitute for it! Sleeping is just such a lovely thing.

tomps Sat 15-Feb-03 23:47:15

About thyroid - I've had homepathic thyroid 'treatment' and it worked brilliantly - really felt energetic when I took it. I've never had thyroid checked but fit some of the symptoms of underactive. I also took kelp supplements pre-dd which were good for this.

willow2 Sun 16-Feb-03 17:22:54

tomps - don't want to offend but, considering that you hadn't been tested for a thyroid problem, how can you be sure that the homeopathic treatment would help someone with the diagnosed condition? Thyroid problems are potentially life threatening - by the time mine was diagnosed I was too ill to have survived an operation. I was only 20 yet on the verge of a heart attack. I was put on a variety of medication (14 tablets a day)including beta-blockers for three months and then had surgery. I know take thyroxine daily and will have to do so for the rest of my life.
Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that I would advise anyone who thinks they might have a problem to get it confirmed by GP rather than simply going it alone down the homeopathic route as this could prove incredibly dangerous.

Jimjams Sun 16-Feb-03 20:55:03

as a trainee homeopath I have to agree with willow- although you could try getitng homeopathic treatment as well. A good homeopath should know when to refer you to a dr as well (I would hope I would recognise that someone in your condition needed conventional help willow!)

willow2 Sun 16-Feb-03 21:01:24

Ta jimjams

ps: I meant now. not know - got a bit clever cutting and pasting and lost basic spelling skills in process.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: