Talk

Advanced search

pregnancy after sterilisation?

(15 Posts)
cutekids Mon 21-Feb-05 21:51:18

I MIGHT BE BEING IGNORANT, BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU CAN GET PREGNANT AFTER HAVING YOUR TUBES TIED? I'M TALKING ABOUT STERILISATION IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS?

expatinscotland Mon 21-Feb-05 21:52:58

Yes. Not likely, but possible. BUT, women who do become pregnant after tubal ligation are at increased risk of ectopic pregnancy. If you believe you are pregnant and have had a tubal ligation get to a doctor asap.

HappyMumof2 Mon 21-Feb-05 21:54:44

Message withdrawn

cutekids Mon 21-Feb-05 21:55:10

thanks for the info. does this mean that every pregnancy would be ectopic or just an increased risk?

HappyMumof2 Mon 21-Feb-05 21:56:07

Message withdrawn

cutekids Mon 21-Feb-05 21:57:57

DON'T MIND ME ASKING, WHEN WAS SHE STERILIZED AS I KNOW THAT THE PROCEDURE HAS CHANGED IN THE PAST FEW YEARS AND I THOUGHT THAT WHAT I HAD DONE WAS FOOL-PROOF.

HappyMumof2 Mon 21-Feb-05 22:00:14

Message withdrawn

trefusis Mon 21-Feb-05 22:01:40

Message withdrawn

cutekids Mon 21-Feb-05 22:03:01

MY YOUNGEST IS FIVE ALSO-SIX IN MAY SO I'VE PROBABLY HAD THE SAME PROCEDURE AS YOUR FRIEND. I HAD MINE DONE IN N.WALES. DON'T KNOW WHETHER DIFFERENT PLACES USE DIFFERENT PROCEDURES.

HappyMumof2 Mon 21-Feb-05 22:04:19

Message withdrawn

cutekids Mon 21-Feb-05 22:06:02

don't know what the name of my procedure was but i was sterilized at the same time as giving birth (caesarian section). i know at the time the midwife was very confident that i couldn't possibly get pregnant again but now i'm starting to wonder!!!

cutekids Mon 21-Feb-05 22:11:26

I'm probably over-reacting. It's just little things that make you wonder isn't it? I had fertility treatment before my first daughter as i wasn't ovulating. Once I had her, I got pregnant literally 3 months after her and did the same again the following year!( 3 BIRTHDAYS IN ONE WEEK IN MAY!).My periods have been absolutely "dead on" since I've been sterilised, until now....! Probably a false alarm though!

alibubbles Tue 22-Feb-05 07:23:03

I got pregnant after being sterlised, albeit a long time ago. Appsrently the risks aare higher is you have just had a baby, DD was 16 months old and DS was 4 months old, when I had it done. I fell pregnant after 12 weeks.

I have been sterlised twice now. It ius funny seeing my kidney x rays as I have 2 clips one side and 3 the other! (Plus the Mirena coil) It amused the junior nurses in A & E the other day as they'd never seen them before on an x ray!

cutekids Thu 24-Feb-05 10:00:21

thanks everyone! however, it was a false alarm!

trefusis Thu 24-Feb-05 10:15:14

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: