Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

pregnancy after sterilisation?

(15 Posts)
cutekids Mon 21-Feb-05 21:51:18

I MIGHT BE BEING IGNORANT, BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW IF YOU CAN GET PREGNANT AFTER HAVING YOUR TUBES TIED? I'M TALKING ABOUT STERILISATION IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS?

expatinscotland Mon 21-Feb-05 21:52:58

Yes. Not likely, but possible. BUT, women who do become pregnant after tubal ligation are at increased risk of ectopic pregnancy. If you believe you are pregnant and have had a tubal ligation get to a doctor asap.

HappyMumof2 Mon 21-Feb-05 21:54:44

Message withdrawn

cutekids Mon 21-Feb-05 21:55:10

thanks for the info. does this mean that every pregnancy would be ectopic or just an increased risk?

HappyMumof2 Mon 21-Feb-05 21:56:07

Message withdrawn

cutekids Mon 21-Feb-05 21:57:57

DON'T MIND ME ASKING, WHEN WAS SHE STERILIZED AS I KNOW THAT THE PROCEDURE HAS CHANGED IN THE PAST FEW YEARS AND I THOUGHT THAT WHAT I HAD DONE WAS FOOL-PROOF.

HappyMumof2 Mon 21-Feb-05 22:00:14

Message withdrawn

trefusis Mon 21-Feb-05 22:01:40

Message withdrawn

cutekids Mon 21-Feb-05 22:03:01

MY YOUNGEST IS FIVE ALSO-SIX IN MAY SO I'VE PROBABLY HAD THE SAME PROCEDURE AS YOUR FRIEND. I HAD MINE DONE IN N.WALES. DON'T KNOW WHETHER DIFFERENT PLACES USE DIFFERENT PROCEDURES.

HappyMumof2 Mon 21-Feb-05 22:04:19

Message withdrawn

cutekids Mon 21-Feb-05 22:06:02

don't know what the name of my procedure was but i was sterilized at the same time as giving birth (caesarian section). i know at the time the midwife was very confident that i couldn't possibly get pregnant again but now i'm starting to wonder!!!

cutekids Mon 21-Feb-05 22:11:26

I'm probably over-reacting. It's just little things that make you wonder isn't it? I had fertility treatment before my first daughter as i wasn't ovulating. Once I had her, I got pregnant literally 3 months after her and did the same again the following year!( 3 BIRTHDAYS IN ONE WEEK IN MAY!).My periods have been absolutely "dead on" since I've been sterilised, until now....! Probably a false alarm though!

alibubbles Tue 22-Feb-05 07:23:03

I got pregnant after being sterlised, albeit a long time ago. Appsrently the risks aare higher is you have just had a baby, DD was 16 months old and DS was 4 months old, when I had it done. I fell pregnant after 12 weeks.

I have been sterlised twice now. It ius funny seeing my kidney x rays as I have 2 clips one side and 3 the other! (Plus the Mirena coil) It amused the junior nurses in A & E the other day as they'd never seen them before on an x ray!

cutekids Thu 24-Feb-05 10:00:21

thanks everyone! however, it was a false alarm!

trefusis Thu 24-Feb-05 10:15:14

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now