Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

laser hair removal

(24 Posts)
vivie Mon 21-Feb-05 20:35:45

Has anyone had this - does it work? I seem to be growing a beard since having the DSs and I hate it. Is there anything I should be aware of? Thanks!

SofiaAmes Mon 21-Feb-05 21:08:56

I'm having my legs and bikini line done. It's expensive, but well worth it. I could see a major difference after just the first session (takes 4 or 5 to get rid of all the hair). It's a little painful, but nothing in the realm of waxing. My bikini line only got a little red for about half an hour, but my legs actually scabbed over a little (I think it's because they use a stronger beam). I had her zap my mustache too and that only looked red for a few minutes.

Go for it!

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Mon 21-Feb-05 21:17:07

How long did the upper lip take SA? As I have mine regularly waxed and it has got finer. I too have 1 annoying hair on my chin but I just pluck it out!

sallystrawberry Mon 21-Feb-05 21:20:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrspink27 Mon 21-Feb-05 21:20:25

why do we get more hairy after babies?? i was considering laser removal, but its gone on the back burner... maybe i'll keep an eye on here and reconsider.

SofiaAmes Mon 21-Feb-05 22:42:40

I had my upper lip done by electrolysis 25 years ago, so it really didn't need much. She just tossed in a couple of zaps because I was paying for the legs and bikini. The bikini is 85 a session and the legs are 135 (or something like that). And it takes 4 or 5 sessions to do it all. It might be cheaper out of london.

sallystrawberry Mon 21-Feb-05 22:45:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SofiaAmes Tue 22-Feb-05 00:20:05

No, the new ones can now do light hair and dark skin too.

Skribble Tue 22-Feb-05 00:23:18

I did ectrolycis? at home and it didn't work at all. I had repeated it several times but it just grows back.
I have very thick dark hair that doesn't even all come out with waxing, wonder if laser or salon ectrolisys? would work for me.

ChicPea Tue 22-Feb-05 00:25:36

I had lower legs done (x3 appts, now 20 hairs left each calf), bikini line (x5 appts, now 6 hairs left each side and under arms (x5 appts, now 2 hairs left). Had last treatment in May 2002 just before I got married and as I have had two children since then I haven't had a treatment since. Initially thought to myself "Why am I putting myself through this?" but was amazed 10 days later when all hair fell out and definitly after three treatments there is a real difference.
A word of warning: the lasers in the beauty salons are operated by beauty therapists and are a lower grade/strength than the ones used in clinics and operated by nurses. Please bear that in mind.
Highly highly recommend. That reminds me, I must resume my treatments to get rid of the remaining hair.

vivie Tue 22-Feb-05 13:27:06

Sounds wonderful if it really helps. I'm really self conscious about my facial hair. Yuck.

SofiaAmes Tue 22-Feb-05 14:40:31

The fact that they are low strength isn't bad. The lower strength ones scar less and are the ones that are used for light hair and dark skin. However, I do think that it's important to ask the person doing you, how long they have been operating the machine for as the area is relatively unregulated.

ChicPea Tue 22-Feb-05 22:02:13

Lasers for hair removal work better on those with dark hair and fair skin. The reason for this is that the laser is attracted to pigmentation and the light travels down the hair shaft to the root where it meets the blood supply and quarterises (sp?) it. I think I have explained it correctly. If the patient has light hair, there is little pigmentation and therefore the light cannot travel down the hair shaft and therefore cut off the blood supply. Re: darker skins, ie mediterranean and asian ladies, the laser is then attracted to the skin, which is not the object of the excercise, and therefore makes the treatment unsuccessful and painful. Possibly will scar. Hair has I think three different stages of growing and I can't remember the name but it is at one stage that the laser treatment has an effect which is 20% of the hair growth. It is recommended that you do not have treatment two weeks before suntanning or two weeks after. Also, it is recommended that you do not have treatment one week before your period as your pain threshold is lower.
At the consultation the doctor/nurse will do a patch test and then you go back a week later to have the treatment provided the patch test did not have any adverse effects.
Re: SofiaAmes' comments, I think that clinics where nurses/doctors operate the lasers ARE regulated by the local health authority whereas beauty salons are not. However, the low grade lasers such as Epilight do not work in the long term.

SofiaAmes Tue 22-Feb-05 23:13:38

I am having epilight done. It was sold to me as a permanent solution. I am concerned that you say that it's not!!! I don't really want to pay for this again. Please explain!!

ChicPea Tue 22-Feb-05 23:26:04

Was just about to log off and suddenly saw your post SofiaAmes!!
Was told by DH that Epilight is a lower grade laser and that's why beauty therapists are able to use them rather than the stronger, higher grade lasers which only doctors/nurses can use. He researched them all and bought the Alexandrite (?) and another one. Can't remember the name and he is away for a week but can ask him when he calls me.
Have you paid for a course up front and therefore are stuck with Epilight?
I don't know where you live (I live in London) but I had treatment at Hairaway which was bought by LaserCare. They have clinics dotted about and I will call them and resume my treatment there.
You could ask them, if you like, what the difference between their lasers and the Epilight lasers and see what they say.
How is the area(s) that you are having treated looking hairwise?

SofiaAmes Wed 23-Feb-05 09:13:40

My hairs definitely seem to be gone. Yes, I paid for it upfront (get a discount that way). I did quite a bit of research online and there doesn't seem to be much difference in the claims. The lasercare site says that their removal needs to be topped up a couple of times a year (!?). I'll have to look into it some more.

Does your dh do tattoo removal? Where in London are you? (my dh needs lots of tattoo removal...he's had some done, but needs oodles more).

ChicPea Wed 23-Feb-05 23:18:56

Well thats brilliant that you have had a good result!! I was told that an annual top up is probably helpful as dormant hair can suddenly sprout which can be nipped in the bud annually.
DH sold the business and didn't do tatoo removal but LaserCare do I think. They are dotted everywhere. Is tatoo removal painful?

turquoise Wed 23-Feb-05 23:22:42

My electroysist (sp?) told me that laser wasn't permanent but several electrolysis sessions later I'm still looking like Dave Lee Travis - does anyone know if electrolysis should be permanent? I really can't afford laser.

ChicPea Wed 23-Feb-05 23:41:15

I have been told that electrolisis (sp?) is not permanent, it just reduces the strength of the growth. Never had it though so can't speak from experience.

turquoise Wed 23-Feb-05 23:55:06

Certainly hasn't reduced the strength of mine! Thanks anyway.

booge Fri 25-Feb-05 10:57:24

I've been having electrolysis for years with very little effect. Decided to have laser treatment with lasercare but am currently pregnant so I will have to wait until I finish breast feeding. Having said that,electrolysis worked brilliantly for my mother and I have PCOS so perhaps it is new hairs that keep appearing with me.

Enid Thu 24-Mar-05 14:57:00

tempted to have this as I have a few stubborn hairs on my top lip...any other recommmendations?

Enid Thu 24-Mar-05 14:57:24

lol Dave lee travis

mrspink27 Sat 20-Aug-05 20:05:35

Ok, so i thought i'd resurrect this thread about hair removal. Am seriously chuffed off about how hairy I have become, Face is sprouting left right and centre, and the backs of my thighs are just yuk!!!! and getting worse!! sorry if tmi!

so i did a bit of research online and have just re read this thread... and now i'm not so sure again?
Anyone taken the plunge and what were your results like?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now