Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Need some help with blood test results. High blood glucose, what does it mean?

(7 Posts)
PeppermintPatty Fri 05-Sep-08 12:10:49

Had some blood tests because I've been ill with a virus and Dr thought it might be glandular fever.

Rang up for my results and the receptionist said my blood glucose was high and I needed to go for another test in a month's time.

I'm panicking now. Does anyone know what this means?

PeppermintPatty Fri 05-Sep-08 12:12:12

PS. I googled it and all the results were about diabetes. I KNOW I haven't got diabetes (no symptoms etc.), so could it be something else?

Donk Fri 05-Sep-08 12:19:14

You have got a symptom - high blood glucose levels!

What this means is that for some reason your body is not regulating your blood glucose levels. The usual causes for this are:-

1) inability to produce insulin (type 1 diabetes) - Highly unlikely to be this since it
usually appears in childhood.

or

2) insulin resistance - i.e. your body has stopped responding to the insulin that your pancreas makes. This is usually called type 2 diabetes.
(this makes it sound simple, recent research shows it may be more complex in some cases)

My apologies if you already know this.

PeppermintPatty Fri 05-Sep-08 12:24:17

But surely at the age of 32 I am too old for Type 1 and too young for Type 2?

Also I don't fit the risk category for type 2 (never been overweight, healthy lifestyle).

Also I have NO symptoms whatsoever.

Also if GP thought it was possible diabetes he would ask me to make an appointment or at least ring me?

ARGH...It must be something else....

Can you have high glucose now and again just for no reason?

Donk Fri 05-Sep-08 12:52:39

If they took the blood sample just after you had eaten, then you might have a high blood glucose. I think this is normal - but don't know what is meant by high in this context (not a doctor, nor even a biologist!)
This is probably why they want to do a repeat test - often they ask for a fasting test. Its probably just to check, and then the Dr. will make an appointment to discuss if necessary.

Type 2 diabetes unlikely if you are not overweight etc , but no, sadly, 32 is not too young - there are now overweight children presenting with type 2 diabetes......

PeppermintPatty Fri 05-Sep-08 13:14:19

I hadn't eaten anything for over 2 hours (I was in queue for the blood test for well over an hour so I know this).

I have rung the surgery and someone is going to ring me back to discuss the result, so hopefully they'll explain what it means and I can stop panicking.

I'm definitely not overweight, I'm 9 1/2 stone. So diabetes very unlikely I would have thought.

cheshirekitty Fri 05-Sep-08 16:15:13

Thats what I thought. I had a raised blood glucose. Had to have another test - GTT glucose tolerance test. They give you lucozade to drink, and take blood every so often.

Turns out I am type 2 diabetic. This was when I was 43 and weighed 9st.

But I was peeing a lot, and checked my urine because I thought I had a UTI. Urine test showed glucose which is why I went to the docs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now