Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How hard should I try not to have the third coffee I crave?

(17 Posts)
Toots Fri 05-Sep-08 11:47:47

Filter coffee on waking.
Cappucino on returning from school run.

By half ten/eleven very hard to resist a third. Would it really benefit me not to give in? Or does it not really make a difference?

PortBlacksandResident Fri 05-Sep-08 12:09:41

Can you afford to have a third coffee? Do you have the space??

How does DH feel about it?

Toots Fri 05-Sep-08 12:11:54

Now that, is hilarious!

Toots Fri 05-Sep-08 12:29:29

But seriously...

Pinions Fri 05-Sep-08 12:30:24

You have to go cold turkey.

Try herbal for a while hmm.

LoveMyGirls Fri 05-Sep-08 12:32:31

I have cups of tea quite a bit I don't see the problem?

I have one in the morning usually one at toddler group one when the lo's have gone for a nap and one after school run sometimes i'll have an extra one if I have time or someone offers to make one!

ellideb Fri 05-Sep-08 12:35:33

If you are worried about the amount of caffeine you are drinking then you should gradually change to decaff. Try half caff first then full decaff. My dear mum has had to give up her beloved coffee because she was getting quite frightening palpitations.

Buda Fri 05-Sep-08 12:36:13

I don't drink that much coffee really but have loads of tea some days. Am no third cup today and will prob have another two. And will then switch to wine!

PoorOldEnid Fri 05-Sep-08 12:37:03

I often have three cups of coffee a day

plus 3 cups of tea

am still alive and sleep well

FluffyMummy123 Fri 05-Sep-08 12:37:39

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Fri 05-Sep-08 12:38:23

I am on my third cup now..

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 05-Sep-08 12:39:01

Don't think there's a problem with 3 or even 4 or 5 cups of coffee a day, is there?

<rushes off to put kettle on again>

Toots Fri 05-Sep-08 13:05:25

I'd like to think there wasn't a problem with three cups. I love my coffee. I look forward to it when I go to bed! Don't drink tea, hardly ever anyway and am reformed lush so hardly abusing self.

Just wondered if there were any science/stats/scare stories floating about.

PortBlacksandResident Fri 05-Sep-08 13:30:00

I am not even human until my second cup of coffee of the day!

Poppycake Fri 05-Sep-08 13:45:14

how big are your cups? Tee hee.

Anyway, unless you're heart's racing or your covered in cellulite, I'd just go with it. But the half'n'half decaff is a good plan - if like me you're a grind your own beans person (i REALLY like coffee!) then it doesn't affect the taste much but does cut down the toxins or whatever tis.

btw I think there are stories out there that prove coffee is good for you. But then there's research to prove everything, isn't there?!

notcitrus Fri 05-Sep-08 15:47:50

The current pregnancy guidelines say up to 3 coffees a day is fine (although warns that shop coffees may have double shots of espresso and count as two).

Unless you're getting nervous twitches or UTIs or something, why not?

I pretty much gave up coffee for a couple years as it badly irritated my bladder (tea was a bit better), but once I got pregnant I was on three skinny lattes a day - no side-effects but I was bloody knackered and needed the caffiene!

BlaDeBla Fri 05-Sep-08 19:47:30

I drink 2 mugs of rocket-fuel in the morning and that's it. Any more and I get the coffee quakes! If it is making you shudder and shake, then you are probably drinking too much. If you are feeling fine, 3 cups of frankly not particularly strong coffee aren't going to hurt! Tea is ok in an emergency!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now