Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mucus in poo urgent or not

(7 Posts)
woodenchair Fri 05-Sep-08 08:42:37

3yo ds has been regularly saying that he feels sick for a couple of months, normally when he eats. He hasn't got the biggest of appetites so I put it down to his stomach feeling full

Now for the last fortnight he had mucus in his poo. I don't know if they are linked or not.

I've got a doc appt this morning, but not with a very nice dr and am wondering if I can leave it until next thurs when I'm off work again or if it's more urgent than that?

likessleep Fri 05-Sep-08 09:06:15

i think (and i may be wrong and therefore maybe i shouldn't post this), that mucous in poo can be a sign of a food intolerance/reaction? but then i was looking into milk intolerance with babies, so i don't know for a 3 year old.
i would ask though. even if you don't get a very good response, you could book another appointment for next thursday with another doctor?
has you son eaten anything different?

woodenchair Fri 05-Sep-08 09:15:06

thanks
his diet hasn't changed at all which is why it made me think there is something wrong. Having looked it up on google, I've scared myself to death about the possibilities.

you're right, I'll go today and if I don't get any joy i'll go again next week.

likessleep Fri 05-Sep-08 09:25:49

i'm sure it isn't urgent, cos he would be feeling off colour/behaving differently. maybe his tummy has just got sensitive to certain food. if he has been feeling sick for a couple of months, then that sounds quite a mild reaction, so it might be difficult to identify, if it is some type of food.
if it was severe, you would be getting other reactions/differences.
hope he feels better soon.

shrooms Fri 05-Sep-08 10:06:57

I think it's worth checking out tbh, even if he seems okay. If he feels sick after eating, that's not nice for him. It's probably as simple as a virus that'll go by itself, but it's better to rule out anything like bacteria, celiac ect. x

woodenchair Fri 05-Sep-08 13:39:16

Thanks. I ended speaking to a nice dr by phone at lunchtime.
He said give it a week if the mucus has gone then fine but if not bring in a sample.
He still want to see him though about the sickness feeling to make sure his tummy and glands are ok.
I've been putting the sickness feeling down to him feeling full and not being able to tell the difference, god I'm going to feel awful if it's something else blush

likessleep Fri 05-Sep-08 14:04:45

that's good news and reassuring!
don't feel awful at all, crikey it is difficult being a mum! i worry about everything and so am sure my lo picks up on this and will probably grow up being a total hypochondriac (sp?)!!!
you're getting him checked over and in every other way, he is totally fine, so don't beat yourself up about it.
i hope the check up goes well for you both smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now