Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

infected syntocin site, what specialist do i need?

(17 Posts)
merryberry Thu 04-Sep-08 16:50:27

gp has washed his hands of this problem. and i'm fed up fannying around in nhs setups, have enough of this with my thyroid and rheumatoid arthritis! i want to go to a private clinic and just get it sorted, but what kind do i need do you think? dermatology?

had my baby 6 mths ago. now have a 3 inch long, 1 inch wide and lord knows how deep but certainly raised half an inch, weird bobbly, sore, inflamed series of lumps where i had syntocin injection. still growing, still getting sorer. did not respond to antibiotics.

gp claims it's a bruise hmm

Califrau Thu 04-Sep-08 16:53:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Thu 04-Sep-08 16:54:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lulumama Thu 04-Sep-08 16:55:15

yikes, that sounds horrible.... would you need a skin specialist? can you call the MWs who delivered and ask their advice, did you have Indie Mws?

poor you, sounds horrible

reikizen Thu 04-Sep-08 16:56:16

Do you mean where a cannula was sited for a syntocinon infusion (hand, arm etc)or the syntometrime injetction for delivery of the placenta (usually thigh)?

merryberry Thu 04-Sep-08 16:56:34

wow that sounds grim.

oh bloody nora i don't mean syntocin. i mean the jab you get in your thigh to speed up 3rd stage of labour [end of afternoon brain dead can't think of name emoticon]

reikizen Thu 04-Sep-08 16:56:52

ignore the typos...blush

merryberry Thu 04-Sep-08 16:57:50

yes that's right had indie MWs: had a shoulder dystocia and the rest is a blur from then on in, 3rd stage needed to be quick cos we were on the move to hospital for checkovers.

merryberry Thu 04-Sep-08 16:58:27

syntometrine! you have a good, GOOD afternoon brain, madame R

reikizen Thu 04-Sep-08 16:58:52

Yikes, I've never come across that before. I'm at a loss but certainly speak to someone! Sorry, no help at all! GP is a bit naughty not to refer you even if they think it is 'a bruise' (after 6 months!)

merryberry Thu 04-Sep-08 17:00:53

>itches lumpy thigh looking minorly woebegone<

its a bit irritating. its not a major thing to be sure, and totally livable with in many ways but a) knowing my luck my leg will go lurid and drop off or b) i'll continue to feel very sad and negative about my body because of this very visible, pinches when i walk and never leaves me alone lump thing.

lulumama Thu 04-Sep-08 17:02:39

defintitely needs second opinion.

merryberry Thu 04-Sep-08 18:16:03

yus, but who i wonder? dermatologist? had two (numpty) gp opinions already!

lulumama Thu 04-Sep-08 18:39:33

that is a skin specialist, but is this skin> or something else? dunno... might be worth starting there.

lilymolly Thu 04-Sep-08 18:52:20

could it be an abcess or celullitis?

I would be referred to dermatologist ASAP
Have they swabbed it for infection?
Or drained some fluid to test for infection?

Def ask for second opinion

merryberry Thu 04-Sep-08 19:06:08

i think it's an abscess/cellulitis as well. docs say not, because i grit my teeth and don't scream when they poke it. i mean i can feel it and it's unpleasant, but it's not birthing at 5.3k baby, so no, i wouldn't say it 'hurts' as such.

will take myself off to a dermatologist i think...

lilymolly Thu 04-Sep-08 19:18:40

oh lay it on a bit think and demand a referal winkgrin

You can chose where you go now through the choose and book system and the referal to treat time period is 18 weeks so you may not need to go private

Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: