Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ok. Freaked out. Greenish discharge from nipples, Looks like green colostrum. I'm not pregnant and it is almost 6 years since I breastfed. Worried.

(20 Posts)
NomDePlume Thu 04-Sep-08 16:40:14

Sorry if TMI but I am really concerned sad.

Worried about this discharge. I have no pain and there are no obvious lumps in my breast tissue.

I know that if you have bf in the past then some women can still produce milk in small amounts for many years afterwards, this I am fine with. I'm concerned about the colour. It doesn't smell strange but it is quite thick and sticky.

I am 26 with no family history of breast cancer. I am currently mid-cycle, if that makes a difference.

NorthernLurker Thu 04-Sep-08 16:42:34

You need to see your doctor. Your age and having breast fed in the past, absence of lumps and no family history are all in your favour but nothing you read here is going to take away from the need to let a medical professional assess this change. It's probably nothing - but let them take a look!

CaptainKarvol Thu 04-Sep-08 16:43:25

I don't know what it is, but go and get it checked. For your peace of mind, if nothing else. Both nipples, or just one, btw?

sallystrawberry Thu 04-Sep-08 16:43:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NomDePlume Thu 04-Sep-08 16:43:39

thanks

NomDePlume Thu 04-Sep-08 16:44:21

both nipples but more prolific in the right.

not made an appt at doc, only just discovered it (in hot bath)

sallystrawberry Thu 04-Sep-08 16:50:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NorthernLurker Thu 04-Sep-08 16:51:04

Ok well my non-medical opinion is that both nipples is probably a good thing meaning it's more likely to be hormone related rather than anything bad which would be in just one breast. No chance you are pregnant btw? I was oozing a bit from pre 20 weeks with dd1 and about the same with the other two?

NomDePlume Thu 04-Sep-08 16:52:13

thanks. It's the green-ness that bothers me. It's like puss but doesn't smell like it. I will make an appt with the GP as soon as I can

NomDePlume Thu 04-Sep-08 16:53:43

NorthernLurker, I leaked colostrum from about 12 weeks aith DD. I can't say that I am definitely not pregnant but the chances of it are microscopically slim !

Sidge Thu 04-Sep-08 16:55:04

Definitely get it checked. Green discharge may indicate an infection somewhere so needs investigating.

NomDePlume Thu 04-Sep-08 16:56:40

(just spotted my typo - 'pus')

paddingtonbear1 Thu 04-Sep-08 16:59:06

could be that the ducts below the nipple are inflamed and clogged up - not a medical expert though! Or could be something to do with hormones. Unlikely to be anything serious if it's in both breasts, but please do see your GP!

CoolYourJets Thu 04-Sep-08 17:00:17

I had green when pregnant, midwife just went hmmmmm.

Miaou Thu 04-Sep-08 17:02:10

Are you on any meds at the moment? Some meds can make you secrete from your nipples (though not green stuff to my knowledge). Happened to a friend of mine (can't remember what she was taking though).

TinkerBellesMum Thu 04-Sep-08 17:03:15

Mum started lactating when I had Tink (she had a sympathetic pregnancy too) and after a year/ 18 months they tested her and found her prolactin levels were really high and have now been able to sort it. Get it looked at!

NomDePlume Thu 04-Sep-08 17:04:37

No, on no meds at all (not even the pill).

Miaou Thu 04-Sep-08 17:06:15

lots of people here with the same experience, ndp

NomDePlume Thu 04-Sep-08 17:10:16

Thank you Miaou, that is quite reassuring

hk78 Fri 05-Sep-08 21:11:10

i have had this, i got it checked out (needle biopsy etc) and the doc said this was just "normal for you now"

whatever that means

but you go and get checked, then you will feel better about it

smile

it is still the same, btw, and it has been 6 yrs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now