Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

broken collarbone and fracture clinic appointment

(8 Posts)
ShrinkingViolet Thu 04-Sep-08 16:29:11

DD1 broke her collarbone yesterday, took her to A&E, they did an Xray, gave her a sling, adn said we need to make an appointment for the fracture clinic. I was convinced teh nurse said the appt. shoudl be next week, so when I handed over the notes and asked for one, I ony paid attention to the day and time, not the date.
However, according to the appointment card, we were suppposed to be there this morning, not next Thursday blush. It's too late to ring them now, but anyone any experience of collarbones and fracture clinics? Ought we to have been there today, or ought it to have been next week, and the appointment was made by mistake for today?
Obviously I'll ring up tomorrow morning and speak to them, but it would be nice to know if it was my mistake or theirs wink.

DumbledoresGirl Thu 04-Sep-08 16:31:55

Mine have broken bones with depressing frequency. IME the fist appt is usually the next day or the day after. I think you should ring them tomorrow and see if they can fit you in.

ShrinkingViolet Thu 04-Sep-08 16:33:25

oh bugger blush. OK, thanks.
What will they tell us though that they didn't last night?

I am pretty sure that the fracture clinic at my local hospital is held in the mornings and dont think there would be anyone there to speak to at this time of day but think you do need to try and speak to someone there today and if not possible ring first thing tomorrow so they may be able to see your DD tomorrow hopefully.

tissy Thu 04-Sep-08 16:35:24

phone up the appointments office (no will be on your letter) and say that there was a communication problem, nurse said next week, letter said next day.

Ask for an appt next week

It will be fine

Depending on age of child likely to be almost healed by then! Only caveat is if there is a sharp spike of bone looking like it will come through the skin, then next week is too far away .

Ring first thing tomorrow, they may have a Friday clinic you could go to.

ShrinkingViolet Thu 04-Sep-08 16:42:42

whew, sorted - I didn't ring the appointments number as they close at 4, so I rang the other extension number on the appointment card (which turned out to be the A&E department blush) - they've rebooked us for next Tuesday, and didn't seem concerned.
Thanks everyone

NorthernLurker Thu 04-Sep-08 16:48:10

Don't worry about A&E - in the hospital I work in A&E and orthopaedics share a reception. Maybe it's that same where you are - unless you are where I am iyswim? grin hmm

ShrinkingViolet Thu 04-Sep-08 17:10:43

the woman didn't sound too cross with me, so hopefully it was OK! No, NL orthopedics at other end of hospital, but A&E is also the minor injuries walk-in, so I expect they're used to idiots people like me wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now