Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Question for jimjams/ ghosty

(6 Posts)
Tissy Mon 21-Feb-05 09:08:17

Now I know what you two do...can I ask a couple of questions?

Jimjams- I think you said on another thread that children need fish oils, not fish liver oils...does that mean that I shouldn't be giving dd the Boots strawberry flavoured omega-3 medicine that we've recently started?

The other fish oil preparation that I found in Boots (Haliborange)contains loads of vitamins as well, so if I give her her multivtamins as well, am I overdosing her on certain things?

(Before you all say that if she has a healthy balanced diet she doesn't need vitamins- I know! She doesn't have a healthy balanced diet unless she's a monkey in disguise. The only thing she'll reliably eat is fruit and she hasn't tried anything new for over 6 months ).

Jimjams Mon 21-Feb-05 10:10:32

A lot of drs/nutritionists are now saying they ndo need supplements even with a healthy diet (as most fresh fooods are depleted in minerals these days).

omega-3's should be fine. If its marketed at children it won't be a liver oil (too much vitamin A). It's best to check that its been purified to remove mercury and other heavy metals floating round our seas (most say on the packaging, but ring up the manufacturer if it doesn't).

Prob best not to give haliboorange as well (although you could give that and ditch the boots one) I'm not keen on haliborange as iiirc it containsf sweetners- I prefer to avoid them (well I have to with ds1 as he goes off the planet).

hth

Tissy Mon 21-Feb-05 10:13:02

but the bottle says the main ingredient is cod liver oil- that's why I was confused!

Jimjams Mon 21-Feb-05 10:18:26

oh really? that's bizarre- unelss the vitamin A has been removed. Does it give retinol as an ingredient?

Jimjams Mon 21-Feb-05 10:19:25

I suppose the omega 3 bit may have been extracted- but defintiely better if it says somewhere that its been purified if its comes from the liver (becuase of mercury let alone vitamin A)

Tissy Mon 21-Feb-05 10:22:54

sorry, I'm at work and don't have the bottle in front of me- may have to get back to you this evening! Thanks for your help so far!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: