Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

i have another chest infection and so gp testing for thyroid anybody help me?

(3 Posts)
whitebeachesandcoconutoil Wed 03-Sep-08 10:32:08

i feel really rough all the time - i am consatantly exhausted , i am irratable have no libido- the list could go on and on and i thought it was just me being miserable but now it looks as if there is a reason can anyone give me any advice.
if there is a problem does this mean i will have to have regular blood tests [i am petrified of having my blood taken] will i be on tablets forever now will it stop all my symptoms?

asicsgirl Wed 03-Sep-08 10:55:54

i have underactive thyroid and have been on thyroxine for a few years now. my symptoms were different from yours - feeling the cold really badly was the main one. it didn't make all symptoms go away completely but it really helped.

you have a blood test every couple of months for a while so they can work out how much thyroxine to give you. then after that it's every six months or longer ime. my dosage only had to change when i was pg.

the tablets are fine, they're tiny little things that don't taste of anything.

good luck! it's worth it, honest.

Heated Wed 03-Sep-08 10:58:25

Once controlled, which can take a bit of tweaking, you have a tablet once a day. Blood tests once every 6m or a year. If on thyroxine you are entitled to free prescriptions. Get iron levels checked at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now