Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have a pain in my breast, I do tend to get a bit worked up about things like this

(7 Posts)
saltire Wed 03-Sep-08 08:23:29

As all4 of my dads sisters ahve had breast cancer, 1 of whom died with it.
Anyway, its on the left side, on the outside, very painful, but oddly not as painful when I have my bra on. I can't feel any lumps or bumps, but when I press on a certain area its very painful. if i move my arms certain ways such as above my head, or out to the side it hurts

littlelapin Wed 03-Sep-08 08:24:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 03-Sep-08 08:27:35

Do you get it regularly? This kind of breast pain is quite common before your period.

Don't press too hard - the tissue is very tender, especially just before your period, and prodding and poking could make it worse!

If it's a one off, and there aren't any lumps or bumps, is it possible it's mastitis?

Either way, for peace of mind, visit your GP.

Sympathise with the cancer fear. My mum died from advanced breast cancer 4 years ago, and in the immediate months after her death I was panicked by every slight twinge.

BTW - I believe it's more of a genetic risk if the cancer was on your mother's side, but check that out with the GP as well. Ask about genetic counselling. Because of my mum's history I was referred for genetic counselling and put on the breast cancer screening programme early. You don't normally get regular mammograms until you're 50, but I've been having them since I was 46.

saltire Wed 03-Sep-08 08:29:18

Well I can't get in until the 17th september.
DH thinks it could be a pulled muscle, because I'm left handed and hold the dog lead in that hand, and the dog does pull a lot and twice over the past couple of days I've almost had my arm pulled out is socket by him.
Still, I do worry when it comes to breasts!

littlelapin Wed 03-Sep-08 08:30:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

saltire Wed 03-Sep-08 08:30:53

BIWI _ Never had it before,and because I take depo, I don't get periods. I used to get pain in the breasts when I did get periods, but it was different to this and covered the whole breast.

I totally second littlelapin, get it checked out

That said, my Mum and I both get weird random breast pain in exactly the place and way you describe.

We have looked into it (having been to gp's first) and apparently this is the area where women carry 'emotional pain', and it is very common in women who suffer from anxiety.

May be bollocks I don't know, but thought I would share. smile

Try not to worry and get checked immediately to hopefully put your mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now