Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sore eye - contact lens problem?

(10 Posts)
spudcounter Tue 02-Sep-08 15:08:06

AThree weeks ago, during a virus bout, my right eye became very sore and red, especially having my contact lenses in. Optician ruled out conjunctivitis, prescribed lubrication gel and told me to leave out cls. After a week, he said it'd got better enough for daily disposables but not to use monthlies as they let in less oxygen to eye. If I have to switch to daily disposable ones, does anyone have any idea how much they are? Where do you buy them from for cheapness and reliability?

lizandlulu Tue 02-Sep-08 15:18:13

i used to have dalies from specsaver for £22 for a months supply. they were cheaper than boots who were £27 for a month. i find the dalies better than the monthlys but monthlys are loads cheaper for me.

just realised dalies doesnt look like it is spelt right! i am sorry if its not!

fortyplus Tue 02-Sep-08 15:25:12

You mean dailies smile

I use the Johnson's Acuvue ones - they work out about £1 a pair if you buy 90 at a time.

They're loads more comfortable than others I've tried

fortyplus Tue 02-Sep-08 15:27:31

By the way... I used 'normal' soft lenses fore years with no bother at all, but when I had ds2 I had a persistent eye infection. I was referred to a consultant in the end who said I had to give up wearing any lenses at all for a year after the infection cleared up, then only wear dailies.

She added that if it was up to her then everyone would use dailies - anything that stays in longer is too prone to lead to infection.

bundle Tue 02-Sep-08 15:29:04

consultant I saw at Moorfields eye hospital told me that gas permeable lenses were a good choice, as if there are any problems you know about them straight away (I know not everyone can wear them). He advised against soft lenses...and was a glasses wearer grin

spudcounter Tue 02-Sep-08 18:24:42

gosh (90 quid)..that's three times more than the monthly disposables. Has anyone ever got them online alot cheaper?

TheDevilWearsPrimark Tue 02-Sep-08 18:29:22

There are loads of cheap places online.

Get lenses is a good one.

Anifrangapani Tue 02-Sep-08 18:29:53

I had similar. I just stopped wearing them for a while until it cleared up, then went back to them when vanity got the better of me.

piratecat Tue 02-Sep-08 18:36:28

i get my focus dailies from a place called Vision Direct

£55 for 3 months supply.

I had problems this yr with the dailies drying my eyes. my left must have got a slight scratch. I went to the eye hosp, and tey could find nothing wrong, but told me to stop usingthem for a month. I am now really careful, and wear my glasses more often. Thing is mine weren't sore at all like yours.

I was told it was lack of oxygen, that made my eyes red, and that it wouldbe better if I switched to 2 weekly or monthly lenses, as they let in more oxygen. I asked the ladies on here and they came up with Acuvue Oasys being good for oxygen, and Air Optix night and Day, but not to keep them in all that time, to clean them each night. This was all for ogygen to the eye.

Obviously dailies are more hygenic, if you find it hard to keep on top of the cleansing of the 2 weeks or monthies.

I was going to change, but my eyes seem to have settled down again.

spudcounter Wed 03-Sep-08 07:36:46

thanks all - this is really useful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now