Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Think I've broken my toe. How long to heal?

(6 Posts)
DorotheaPlenticlew Mon 01-Sep-08 12:53:27

Walked/ran into doorframe during bath-and-bedtime tidying whirlwind last night. Little toe is black and blue, swollen, sore, cannot bend it, can walk if I put weight on the inside of that foot, but not sure if shoes will go on for work tomorrow. Owwwwww.

So, just wondering, if it's broken, how long before it feels a bit better and the swelling goes down? I'm putting on lots of arnica cream ...

Also troubled by prospect of workmates seeing my untended, cracked and miserable feet in flip-flops tomorrow. The shame! May have to attempt self-pedicure with broken toe hmm

DorotheaPlenticlew Mon 01-Sep-08 12:56:02

Forgot the best bit: Tesco man came earlier today, and on seeing toe, opined that it's definitely broken. He does karate, apparently, and has seen it all before. And while he was here, I dropped a four-pack of tinned tomatoes on my other foot.

frogs Mon 01-Sep-08 12:57:42

I did this a few weeks ago -- ironically stubbed little toe of the other foot on the crutches I was using to recover from my badly broken leg [wry grin emoticon]. Half the foot went blue and purple, so am assuming it was broken rather than sprained.

Advice from my physio was to tape the broken toe to the adjacent toe with micropore or zinc oxide tape (from the chemist). It doesn't really matter whether it's broken or sprained, the treatment is the same. I had it taped up for several weeks, and it still looks a bit odd now even though it's not really painful anymore.

FWIW it took me a couple of weeks before I could wear even very soft shoes.

DorotheaPlenticlew Mon 01-Sep-08 13:02:10

Feck.

Oh well, best to know the worst! Thanks frogs. How are you now?

DorotheaPlenticlew Mon 01-Sep-08 13:02:54

Sorry, just re-read and realized you are better.

frogs Mon 01-Sep-08 13:07:03

Toe is better, but still a little tender.

Leg is getting better, but v. slowly. Break was in March, and am still using crutches [pissed off emoticon]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now