Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How easy is it to break a toe?

(15 Posts)
OrmIrian Mon 01-Sep-08 08:18:48

Stubbed my toe on a rock on the beach on Friday. A bit of an ouch but bearable at the time. Sore next morning. Tried to run Sunday morning and managed about a mile before swearing horribly, admitting defeat and hobbling home. Very very painful to put any weight on it at all but only a very small area that hurts to the touch. I've damaged by extensor tendons before and the pain was similar but no quite so intense and in a slightly different place.

Strapping makes no difference at all.

scorpio1 Mon 01-Sep-08 08:20:50

DH broke his toe at thai boxing, felt ok for the first day or so but then couldn't put weight on it at all. Says it was very painful.

It got broken when he kicked someones shin, so equivalent to stubbing maybe?

BreeVanderCampLGJ Mon 01-Sep-08 08:23:01

There will now commence a huge debate as to whether you should go the doctor.

I broke mine when, 2lb of sausage meat jumped out of the freezer and landed on my toe. (The bitter irony being, I had just been to see Happy Feet)grin

I soldiered on for two weeks, strapping it myself. I eventually gave in and went to the GP who sent me for an xray, and then on to the local A&E, they strapped it properly and it was as right as rain within a week.

OrmIrian Mon 01-Sep-08 08:23:42

Ooh did he scorpio? Thanks. How long did it take to get better?

I may have to take a trip to A&E after work. Problem is our local one had no x-ray facilities hmm

scorpio1 Mon 01-Sep-08 08:24:34

a week or so after strapping. still tender ish now though a year later.

OrmIrian Mon 01-Sep-08 11:30:11

Thankyou. I can cope with a week or so smile

frankie3 Mon 01-Sep-08 15:26:26

I stubbed my toe a few months ago (wearing flip flops to the supermarket) and it hurt, but felt better the next day. I was wearing nail varnish and when I took it off a few weeks later I noticed my toenail was dark brown. It is still brown all these weeks later, so obviously it is growing out brown. Why would this be, and does anyone know what I have done?

SaintGeorge Mon 01-Sep-08 15:28:59

If you have feet like mine, too bloody easy angry

I broke one by standing up from a kneeling position!

I want normal feet!

Oh so easy. I like to break mine while pg. hmm

3 times so far, can't see my feet......

(once in 1st pg, twice in 2nd)

maretta Mon 01-Sep-08 15:32:09

I broke a toe when I was in my teens.

I ran into someone and didn't think much of it. It was only afterwards that it started to swell.

The doctor said there wasn't much to do except wait for it to get better, so there was no point in referrals.

ThreeWheelsOnMyWagon Mon 01-Sep-08 15:39:34

OrmIrian, I did exactly the same thing on honeymoon. Didn't get medical help as was in Portugal and was far too interested in lounging in the sun rather than spending time trying to get seen to!

I developed an interesting ring of bruising about half way down the toe, all hte way round, which lasted a few weeks if I remember correctly. It turned all the colours of the rainbow during that time, and I was quite sad to see it go as I found it so fascinating [weirdo]. The pain was excruciating at first, but I strapped it up myself and I suppose as I spent the best part of a fortnihgt on a sun lounger that helped it to heal. Not sure if it was properly broken or not, but I didn't think there was a lot htat could be done anyway even if it had been?

TinkerBellesMum Mon 01-Sep-08 15:56:37

I've done one at least twice stubbing it. If it's broke the pain will take a few weeks to go away, if it's just a day or so it's bruised. If the pain gets bad and goes on for awhile you can use some mircopore to tape the bad toe to the two either side. Usually hospitals won't deal with it.

frankie3, the nail bed is bruised, you may find that the nail falls off soon leaving it looking all normal underneath.

OrmIrian Mon 01-Sep-08 18:04:59

Well! The first time I've wounded myself and actually gone to get it checked and....it isn't broken. Had it x-rayed because triage nurse thought it was. But just bruised! It bloody hurts for 'just a bruise' <sob> Usual advice...rest (ha!), ice, compression (nope - shoes hurt too much as it is) and elevation (ha again!).

Am going to sulk now. Can't run. Have started a booze-free fortnight because I have overindulged recently. So can't drink. I will have to eat. Eat and sulk.

OrmIrian Wed 03-Sep-08 12:11:57

Bugger me! It huuuuurts and my foot it's looking like a swollen cornish pasty. Broken or not. .

OrmIrian Fri 05-Sep-08 08:37:07

Well foot is broken after all. Got a letter when I came home from work saying that they'd reviewed the x-ray and it has a small fracture on the bottom of one of the foot bones. When they showed me I wasn't surprised they missed it - I wouldn't have beleived it was anything if it didn't hurt so much. So am now in a cast from toe to the top of my calf and lumbering about on crutches - for 4 - 6 weeks! Can't do anything. Just got to ring work. That'll go down well hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now