Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

teeth - are yours worse since having children?

(11 Posts)
poppy123 Sun 31-Aug-08 20:04:22

Since having 2 children I seem to be getting loads of problems with my teeth - they used to be quite good but now they ache, generally all rather than just one, and i have just managed to break one off eating muesli!! Also it seems when I have a maternity exemption the dentist says everything is fine and then when you have to pay again they all need something doing - anyone else found this?!
thanks

bubblagirl Sun 31-Aug-08 20:11:44

yes me too my teeth are so sensitive now and getting really bad but were always fine before my ds

Racers Sun 31-Aug-08 20:18:31

yes just had 4 fillings after DC2 sad only had one tiny one previously (a white one, replaced as one of the 4)

pippylongstockings Sun 31-Aug-08 20:32:01

Yes - I had 2 fillings last year after my DS2 was born. Just been to the dentist last week and have 2 others being 'watched' - and 1 wisdom tooth that they want to x-ray and remove.
Not happy only ever had 1 filling in my whole life up to now.

zazen Sun 31-Aug-08 21:05:26

It's time to take magnesium and calcium supplements. Solgar make a good all round one for women called Female Multiple - multi minerals and vitamins.

basically the babies take calcium and magnesium from your bones and teeth, and you have to replenish your own body through diet. if diet isn't as good as it should be (who has time eh?) then a supplement is advised.

Anyone have a bone density scan?

I'm having a filling next week after having Dd 4 years ago and have been advised to take a supplement.

LittlePushka Sun 31-Aug-08 21:23:12

Yes, but to be honest I probably clean them much less thouroughly because they are ore sensitive now than before.

Nappyzoneneedssleep Sun 31-Aug-08 22:22:23

mine are not as white due to the gallons of coffee i drink to stay awake.... off to bed.......

poppy123 Mon 01-Sep-08 21:16:04

thanks everyone, will try the multi vitamins Zazen. I hadn't heard about the magnesium

likessleep Mon 01-Sep-08 21:44:28

yep, i've got a gum graft booked sad in for early october, as my gums have gotten really recessed!!
mine used to be fine too.

poppy123 Tue 02-Sep-08 13:34:58

that sounds a bit drastic likessleep, hope it goes ok. Just had my wisdom tooth done - apparently it looked ok from the outside but wasnt once he got drilling it wasnt and now mught have to be pulled out. I'm going to have to stop writing as it's making me feel queasy!!

twinkleymum Tue 02-Sep-08 19:00:40

Yes, I need 5 fillings since DD born. Went at beginning of pregnancy all were fine then. I've had 2 done already and the dentist said my teeth were unusually soft when drilling them. I broke a bit off of one tooth when removing a pen lid (bit silly but would have been OK before).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now