Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ok so my dad developed plantar fasciitis about 5 yrs back, heel pain, and i think i have the same, but i am young.

(9 Posts)
piratecat Sun 31-Aug-08 19:55:44

Dad has been on his feet all day every day for yrs and got this condition. Very painful for him and now it seems i have the same.

WHY?? i don't do anythign untoward, and the pain in my heels (underneath in centre) is getting worse. it apparently gets better with time say 12-18 months but i don't understand why i have it. I didn't get it in whilst pg, as tey say being over weight doen't help. Ok i have worn flip flops occasionally over the summer, but i did that last yr too and had no probs,

its very painful. has anyone had this??

Dragonbutter Sun 31-Aug-08 19:58:10

plantar fasciitis isn't age related.
you could get a physio referral as some ultrasound may help.
i got it quite bad as a result of wearing very flat unsupportive shoes so it might be the flip flops.

piratecat Sun 31-Aug-08 20:05:04

Just found a bit about it, icluding those weird shoes that help posture?

'Try the MBT or Chung Shi shoe. They are designed to lengthen and strengthen the calf muscles and the Plantar Fascia. In combination with the right arch support, these shoes will help to restore function to the body by giving you better posture, increasing your circulation, and increasing muscle activity throughout the body. This type of technology shoe is one of the best long-term ways of preventing Plantar Fasciitis as well as a myriad of other medical problems. Other than these shoes, you need to get OUT of your Crocs and flip flops and dress shoes. Get INTO a shoe that you can’t twist in half. It needs to have structure! That doesn’t mean that it’s going to be hard as a rock. Get your feet evaluated somewhere like a Foot Solutions, and they’ll help you get into a comfortable, structured shoe that will also suit your lifestyle needs.

Q: Once the pain goes away can I go back to wearing my old shoes, stop wearing my arch supports, and discontinue the stretches?
A: Absolutely NOT. Once this injury/inflammation has occurred, you can expect that when you go back to your old habits that it will come back. I’ve worked with people who’ve been struggling with PF for ten years! There’s no need for that. You MUST continue to take care of yourself. And unless you’re walking barefoot in the woods every day – all day, then you have to stay in your arch supports and supportive footwear.

It also seems that if you have bad posture (runs in family-my dad's is shockiong and i take agfter him) then this means the very root of the problem is prone to this injury. I have terrible hips as i had SPD in my pg, and it's continued on and of for 6-7 yrs.

piratecat Sun 31-Aug-08 20:07:19

db hi, it's funnyhow it has just come on in the past few weeks, is that what happened to you.

are you healed (sorry!!)now? what helped apart from the ultrasound? I know dad's on painkillers, i don't tink he was ever offered ultrasound. he works in a shop in town and has been on his feet for about 20 yrs, i just wondered how it could have hapened to me?

Dragonbutter Sun 31-Aug-08 20:22:56

yeah, i only had for a few weeks though. but it's something i used to treat in my previous life wink.
i found correct footwear, cushioned heel pads, ultrasound and strapping helped.
get yourself a physio referral.

maidamess Sun 31-Aug-08 20:24:33

I bought arch supports from Boots last year, when Birkenstocks crippled my feet and I started to suffer from this too.

They really really helped and this year have had no bother at all.

piratecat Sun 31-Aug-08 20:30:27

ahhhhhhhhh was that in the wink local hospital ?

you are an expert then. ok will trot (limp) off to gp. tbh i feel like 'what havent i had' these days, i hope she will refer me ok.

must tell dad too. wonder if you ever frequent his shop?

i was looking at these 'earth 'shoes, they have the heel set lower than the front of the foot. i looked on the sites about excercise, and its true, when you pull yourtoes back it feel much better, so i can see that it would feel nicer to have your heel lower in a shoe.Yet wuold that help or hinder the spd hips prob.

Do you think spending most of the hols in some crappy Faith flat as pittabread pumps has done this.??

hmmmm...

Dragonbutter Sun 31-Aug-08 20:34:59

quite possibly especially if you have a predisposition for this sort of thing.

you have my sympathy. it really hurts.

asicsgirl Mon 01-Sep-08 11:42:13

i had this from running. i do sympathise as it can be agony. i had physio, ultrasound but did not help. spent 6 months doing exercises etc, no improvement. then got referred to chiropodist who gave me made-to-measure orthoses (arch supports). they changed my life. back to running, dancing etc with no pain. now ca. 10 years on i wear them most of the time tho' i do also wear sandals occasionally and just put up with a bit of an ache. btw i find birkenstocks good, in contrast to maidamess! wink

so i would get down to gp for a chiropodist referral if i were you! good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now