Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone's dc gone thru a stage of not eating breakfast, not wanting anything, my dd is 6

(11 Posts)
piratecat Sun 31-Aug-08 19:00:53

she has not eaten anything for 4 weeks at breakfast tiem, preferring to eat at about 11 an early lunch.

she just syas she doesn't feel like it, which bothers me becuase she will be so hungry when she goes back to school.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 31-Aug-08 19:03:53

She might not fancy cereal at the moment.

Smoothie?

Yoghurt?

Croissant?

Eggs?

HTH

posieflump Sun 31-Aug-08 19:06:28

I wetn through this phase when I was young.
I had a banana on the way to school and then ate half my packed lucnch in the first break of school

Hulababy Sun 31-Aug-08 19:08:20

What is she offered?

My DD (6) has struggled with breakfast for the past 2-3 years. She doesn't like milk and she also struggles to it too soon after waing up. If she canhave brunch after a couple of hours of being awake she is loads better.

I don't worry too much about it as she will always eat at least something, although she has to have been up for at least 30 minutes or so minimum. And she eats fantastically well the rest of the time.

DD will eat things like crumpets and muffins, scotch pancakes, sausages, eggs, eggy bread, toasyt and honey or dry cereals. She will sometimes have yogurt and fruit too. She has been known to have ham sandwiches and cheese too, so very continential wink

piratecat Sun 31-Aug-08 19:09:20

having spent 6 yrs tring to get her to eat well, and failing becuase she is so bloody bloody fussy, and has pigeons appetite, so you think then it would harm her to give im to what she wants rather than what she shuold have?

By this I mean she would very happily eat a Muller corner yog , but the ones with the choc balls in rather than the fruit corners.

she doesn't eat any fruit. hates eggs, pastry, god she hates every sodding thing.

piratecat Sun 31-Aug-08 19:11:17

hulababy, and boysarelike dogs, maybe i should forget cereal then.

she would happily eat a roll and cheese for a 3 meals of the day.

she is half german tho, and maybe she 'does' the continental thing. i won't be buying the rollmops yet tho

boak!!

cupsoftea Sun 31-Aug-08 19:13:30

Would she have a hot chocolate with some bread to dunk? or a sarnie to eat on the way to school?

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 31-Aug-08 19:15:02

Ds2 v fussy eater, I feel your pain.

Try the different options for breakfast, you might get a result.

Good luck.

undercovercat Sun 31-Aug-08 19:16:07

Yes, my dd is 10 and doesn't like cereal at the moment. I have always made her have SOMETHING with milk - toast, with a glass of milk.... digestive biscuits or a slimfast milkshake. I have never waivered from the YOU MUST have something for breakfast because that would cause arguements..."Oh you let me off yesterday...why do i have to eat it today?" Sort of thing.
So, Ive given in, but stuck to my guns. No cereal, but something.

Elibean Sun 31-Aug-08 22:34:57

Mmmm yes, dd1 is nearly 5 and has just started not wanting breakfast for a good while after waking up. She doesn't want milk anymore either, just juice, till she's been up an hour or so.

Same as Hula really - if I offer her alternative of egg, or ham, or cheese, she'll eat. She sometimes has cereal or toast, or a bowl of hot chocolate with bread to dunk into it a la Francaise (I'm half French, so I let her get away with that wink).

I do have to make sure she's up more than an hour before leaving the house to go to school though, or we end up battling over food every day, which I definitely can't be doing with.

DettaJnr Mon 01-Sep-08 18:29:38

DD1, 6yrs, doesn't like breakfast either. She is also prone to constipation even though she eats lots of fruit and veg.

She will, however, have a drink. At the moment she like orange juice with not water in it and drinks it with a straw.

I feel at least there is natural sugar and some good in it.

I let her choose and when she is hungry she usually likes a toasted sandwich!HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now