Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone take gingko biloba?

(14 Posts)
Cappuccino Sun 31-Aug-08 08:54:32

I've been taking ginseng for a while but was buying vitamins online and saw it mixed with gingko which will, apparently, make my brain alert and increase my sex drive

since having ME my brain has been like a bowl of soup and my sex drive, erm...

does it work? or does it make you loopy? I can't manage loopy atm

Cappuccino Sun 31-Aug-08 17:10:40

bump

Cappuccino Sun 31-Aug-08 20:12:36

really? no-one?

Elibean Sun 31-Aug-08 22:30:03

dh took it for years, and I have to say I didnt' notice much difference in levels of either brain or sex drive.

Not that either were bad to start with, just no change!

He took it because his mother had Alzheimers, and he read it could help with peripheral circulation and therefore, as you say, help the brain stay healthy.

But FWIW, he didn't go loopy on it at all...oh, and my mother takes it, and she's not loopy either. Neurotic yes, loopy no, fairly alert but - thankfully - can't vouch for her sex drive grin

misi Sun 31-Aug-08 22:56:37

ginko can be very effective if used correctly. most OTC types are rubbish and not strong enough to do anything. the biggest reason people think they don't work is cos they take what is says on the bottle which is a maintainance dose which is only of use once you have got the desired effect. to get to where you want to be you need a theraputic dose which is often far far higher.

you have to be careful though as you can't take it if you are on certain meds. ginko works by making the blood less sticky. not sure why ginko would increase your sex drive, in men it can help as it can increase and improve blood flow in the penis, women do have increased blood flows to the vagina, clitoris, labias, well the works really, but is not increased as it is in men who take ginko

zippitippitoes Sun 31-Aug-08 22:59:16

i take it 60mg tabs

zippitippitoes Sun 31-Aug-08 23:00:23

draw your own conclusions lolol

misi Sun 31-Aug-08 23:08:50

60mg zippi?
thats not very strong, whats the Ginkgo Flavoglycosides value?

zippitippitoes Sun 31-Aug-08 23:14:13

no idea lol

misi Sun 31-Aug-08 23:17:12

brand name???

zippitippitoes Sun 31-Aug-08 23:24:59

holland and barratt

tho the last one was tesco

misi Mon 01-Sep-08 00:18:02

H&B ginkgo 60mg is 14.4mg GF's. all trial studies are done with either 120mg or 240mg tabs at 24% GF's (28.8mg and 57.6mg GF's)
if its done the trick, ok, but if you feel its not working, double or triple your dose if you are not on any other meds

Elibean Mon 01-Sep-08 16:04:50

dh took mega doses, IIRC I think it was Solgar.

misi Mon 01-Sep-08 16:20:39

solgar is a good brand, I prefer quest as it is of comparable quality but cheaper as you are not paying for the expensive (american) name and marketing machine!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now