Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

just had mirena fitted and in complete irrational panic - please help!

(27 Posts)
panicstations Sat 30-Aug-08 20:03:46

i had mirena fitted on thurs. have had aches/ pains since but nothing major and nhs direct assure me all sounds normal.

but i am just in a complete panic! sad i have been in floods of tears convinced i shouldn't have had it done. worrying about poss side effects, and fact that i am now feeling down and pmt-ish, have been distant with dcs and dp, feel like i'm getting depressed, anxiety attacks even. have always used condoms apart from short spell on pill years and years ago, and v freaked out by idea of this thing inside me sad

i'm an anxious person at best of times but have been feeling relatively chilled since ds2 arrived 16 weeks ago. so worried that i am now going to be a wreck.

i know you are supposed to 'give it time' but feel that these feelings aren't really to do with symptoms the coil is causing, and are just my own mad panic, so may not get better. atm i just want it taken out again. anyone felt similar? what did you do?

morningpaper Sat 30-Aug-08 20:05:08

I was like this! I felt like I'd had an alien THING impanted in me and was in a panic for a few days.

Give it time to settle down - you can ALWAYS get it removed with no trouble.

panicstations Sat 30-Aug-08 20:06:04

thanks mp! how long did it take before you felt less bonkers?

morningpaper Sat 30-Aug-08 20:08:09

WELL I would say a couple of weeks grin

If you aren't breastfeeding, you could go to the GP and explain and ask for something to calm you down in the SHORT TERM (valium)

I don't know why I felt panicky but it was like I'd had this thing in me and wanted to rip it out

panicstations Sat 30-Aug-08 20:10:23

yes me too. but am bf so can't take valium (tho maybe it would calm ds2 down too lol). tbh ADs and the like scare me witless too. i sound all 'my body is a temple' don't i, lol.

morningpaper Sat 30-Aug-08 20:13:13

hehe

it's ok

I wonder if it can take your body a while to 'get used' to a Mirena, the way it does with body piercings etc.

It REALLY freaked me out and I was panicky

It's strange having something incide you like that

I DO think it will get better - try not to think about it if you can, keep yourself busy

mellyonion Sat 30-Aug-08 20:13:37

oh my god! i was EXACTLY the same!!! (i'm so thrilled i'm not the only barking mad one grin)

i was very aware of it...it did feel alien (not to my body, but in my mind), and i did feel as if it wasn't supposed to be there...

it calmed down...tbh, i had to push away the thoughts whenever thay came, and just sort of got used to living with it...

give it a bit longer, and find comfort in the fact that you can get it removed on monday if you feel the need to..
hth

panicstations Sat 30-Aug-08 20:19:35

yes cheers. part of prob is having time to think e.g when bf. also feeling a bit hard done by as i would prefer dp to have snip... feel like i've done my bit being pg, giving birth and bf x 2!!

panicstations Sat 30-Aug-08 20:21:29

x-posts mellyonion! thanks it really helps to know i'm not alone... grin sounds like you did a good 'mind over matter' job.

panicstations Mon 01-Sep-08 11:17:43

still feeling crackers today and v weepy so have appt to see gp this pm. now panicking that she won't take it out of course!!

mellyonion Mon 01-Sep-08 12:18:49

good luck....let us know how it goes eh?

will be thinking of you, am still plucking up courage to get an appt to have mine removed!

frankie3 Mon 01-Sep-08 15:28:57

I should get a mirena as I have terrible heavy periods but this is what is putting me off too! Thought I was mad - but looks like I am not the only one who thinks like this.

zippitippitoes Mon 01-Sep-08 15:30:26

well this is exactly why i wouldnt have one i knew i would panic if i did

JellySnakes Mon 01-Sep-08 15:35:18

I am supposed to be getting one of these fitted in a couple of weeks. Don't know if I want to now! I can understand why it might feel alien too. Oh well, I have a couple of weeks to think about it hmmgrin

mellyonion Mon 01-Sep-08 16:22:41

have just made the appt to get mine removed....

will get my smear done too while they're "up there!"

DettaJnr Mon 01-Sep-08 18:23:40

Mine didn't agree with me either and had it removed 3 months after having it put it.

I felt all panicked, especially at night, and a bit jittery during the day. Also had MASSIVE bloated stomach, gained 8lbs, headaches, a period every 2 weeks with spotting inbetween, fuzzy head and generally just like before you start your period.

It didn't work for me but I have several friends who absolutely swear by it. I'm glad I gave it a try though.

panicstations Mon 01-Sep-08 19:04:00

it's out now <phew> doc was lovely and didn't try to talk me out of it at all.

feel fine now of course. in fact i am driving dp crazy singing and being madly cheerful grin boys just seem pleased to have 'happy mummy' back.

interesting zippi that you suspect you'd be like this too. i don't think i gave it enough thought... seeing as i am both a control freak and a hypochondriac, the writing was prob on the wall wasn't it. ah well. live and learn etc.

jellysnakes, don't be too put off. there are many many people on mn who love their mirenas - i know, i've read all the threads!! fwiw insertion did not hurt at all for me and the aches/ pains in the next few days were minimal. it's just that i'm a nut...

thanks everyone for your support grin

panicstations Mon 01-Sep-08 19:06:29

oh and mellyonion good luck for your appt. doc said to me taking them out is always easier than getting them in, if that's what you're worried about smile

Dogsby Mon 01-Sep-08 19:08:39

oh oyu ol poof!
its fine

and no periods!! yayayay!

JuneBugJen Mon 01-Sep-08 19:09:40

really dogsby?
I was excited about that part too but no, there are my periods, just the same as ever. Blah.

squeaver Mon 01-Sep-08 19:12:26

I love my mirena too. Just persuaded a friend of mine to have it put in this very afternoon. I am a Mirenavangelist!

blowsy Mon 01-Sep-08 19:14:05

I too had all of the crap symptoms and felt very weird about my 'alien' coil. My periods did more or less stop but I'm happier to have them back rather than the permanent pmt I had with the mirena.

Dogsby Mon 01-Sep-08 19:15:28

no afetr abotu 6 months
GONE
for years and years

panicstations Mon 01-Sep-08 19:22:54

dogsby grin i know i'm a wet and a weed...

anniebear Mon 01-Sep-08 21:54:23

I had mild stomach pains on and off for about 3/4 weeks, but they were mild

now , 5 months later, no periods at all!

havent had one since the day it was put in, just a bit of spotting now and again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now