Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

OMG - Friend's Epidural has gone wrong. Need Info

(20 Posts)
Califrau Fri 29-Aug-08 23:43:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 29-Aug-08 23:45:53

Bump for Cali's friends.

BloodySmartarse Fri 29-Aug-08 23:46:30

oh cali, how awful!
no info for you - sorry!
god, i hope they get help/are ok...

HeinzSight Fri 29-Aug-08 23:47:04

bumping for you

justjules Fri 29-Aug-08 23:49:09

is an epidural and a spinal different,

i had a spinal and there is a risk of fluid leaking,

it did with me and caused the most awful headaches ever for 3 days after birth,

the poor woman sad

the headache was bad enough,

what have the hospital said,

IdrisTheDragon Fri 29-Aug-08 23:50:35

That sounds horrible sad.

Have been googling and found this in the spinal headache section - but doesn't give much information.

Califrau Fri 29-Aug-08 23:52:41

SwampsterHasAWarmFuzzy Fri 29-Aug-08 23:53:51

Did a wee google cause it sounds like one of my nightmares come true. Found loads of scary, confusing, very medical and incomprehensible (to an alien swamp monster like me anyway) stuff and this blog - quite reassuring I think.

Hope your friend is ok.

Califrau Fri 29-Aug-08 23:54:21

IAteDavinaForDinner Fri 29-Aug-08 23:56:09

AFAIK the difference between the two is not to do with the drugs used but the location of the needle when the fluid is injected. An epidural bathes the nerves in anaesthetic as they pass out of the spinal cord while a spinal actually numbs them at the cord itself giving a more complete block.

random link here

Califrau Sat 30-Aug-08 00:11:03

SaintGeorge Sat 30-Aug-08 00:11:41

I have just read through loads of sites and a fair few scientific papers.

That worrying stuff you posted Cali really does seem to be worst case scenario.

Most of the stuff I read seems to suggest that leakage is apparent within 24 hours post removal. Non treated leaks cause other symptoms, headaches dizziness etc. Treatment of leaks spotted on that timescale seem to involve hospital stays of only 3-5 days.

Has she had any other symptoms before the fit that you know of?

I am wondering if it is an infection rather than a leak?

Whatever it is, I am sending vibes across the ocean and keeping her in my thoughts.

xx

Califrau Sat 30-Aug-08 00:20:38

MrsJohnCusack Sat 30-Aug-08 00:22:08

Oh I don't know anything Califrau (even though I had a spinal with DS - do remember being warned of increased risks of after effects though) - but how awful for them. I hope it is OK

SuperBunny Sat 30-Aug-08 00:28:49

Oh goodness, how awful. I'm not sure what to suggest.

nappyaddict Sat 30-Aug-08 00:31:01

hope everything is ok

NorkyButNice Sat 30-Aug-08 03:31:36

I had leaking spinal fluid after my epidural, resulting in what they call a spinal headache. The day after giving birth I couldn't sit up without getting a shocking headache, which immediately went away when I lay down.

They "fixed" me by giving me a blood patch which is where they inject your own blood into the spinal column, replacing the lost fluid.

Unfortunately mine didn't close the hole properly, and I was on bed rest for a week when I got home before the headache went. I can imagine that if the headache was untreated, and you weren't able to stay lying down, it may well result in a fit or collapse. Hope your friend's wife recovers soon.

Califrau Sat 30-Aug-08 05:56:47

FruitynNutty Sat 30-Aug-08 07:02:57

My friend has also just given birth. She couldn't move her neck after the epidural shock. They performed the same procedure as you Norky and now she's fine smile

Hope you friend is feeling better soon Califrau

Califrau Sat 30-Aug-08 20:10:12

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now