Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what do you take for bad period pain? prescription or not?

(18 Posts)
BBBee Thu 28-Aug-08 23:19:48

am thinking of going to doctor for some medication for my period as am popping nurofen plus constantly for the five days and not that effective really.

What do you take and is it any good?

TooTicky Thu 28-Aug-08 23:21:38

Are you getting enough iron and things? I think caffeine can naff up your iron levels.

hifi Thu 28-Aug-08 23:30:58

bb it may be worth seeing a gyny, i did and she found out why, but didn't solve it unfortunately. mine sometimes gets so bad i take sleeping tablets.

BBBee Thu 28-Aug-08 23:57:30

thanks - okay, will look into iron supplement - oh and the caffine, it always comes back to the caffine <sigh>

hifi - was the gyny helpful then? sleping pills might help (unless giving up the caffine is enough)

hifi Fri 29-Aug-08 00:01:46

she told me why but couldnt do anything.
always happens about 4am,i dont have to wear anything as nothing come out unless i stand up, thats what causes mine, pressure.

BBBee Fri 29-Aug-08 00:02:31

thank you - do any pain killers help?

honeydew Fri 29-Aug-08 00:04:53

I used to take Feminax as I had dreadful periods. It really helped but you can't drive because it make you feel quite sleepy.

hifi Fri 29-Aug-08 00:05:44

i get advil from us,works for me.

muggglewump Fri 29-Aug-08 00:06:21

I take Solpadeine Max and ibuprofen if it's bad and sit with a hot water bottle plus drink hot drinks and it eases

TooTicky Fri 29-Aug-08 17:03:39

Bee, talk to Fmv about vit c and iron. She is wise.
Also, I don't usually "do" supplements, but a friend of mine has started taking Floradix, it's all natural, and she is rushing about feeling on top of the world, running a business full time and being very pg, so might be worth a try.

oi Fri 29-Aug-08 17:06:19

you can get Feminax over the counter now.

I found the best thing for my period pain was Buscopan. It's an antispasmodic so not a pain killer but what it did was stop the cramps and once they were stopped, I realised that was what was causing the pain. It's now advertised as Buscopan IBS (as IBS sufferers take it for cramps) but it was always used as a period pain treatment by doctors. You can get that over the counter too. It's definitely worth trying.

nailpolish Fri 29-Aug-08 17:06:23

PONSTAN is a painkiller especially for period pains

its wonderful

when i got my coil fitted the clinic told me i would experience really bad period pains for a few days and they gave me a weeks supply of ponstan

worked very well

Boco Sat 30-Aug-08 17:54:33

I used to love feminax, went from feeling like you've been kicked in the bottom by a horse to cloud floaty in half an hour.

Sputnik Sat 30-Aug-08 18:57:11

Raspberry leaf tea is really good

FrayedKnot Sat 30-Aug-08 20:29:14

BBBee have you had it for long, this pain? I mean have you always had pain and it's getting worse, or is it a new thing?

I wonder if you ought to see a Gynae. I have endometriosis and really it's something you need to see someone about, in case it could be that.

onepieceoflollipop Sat 30-Aug-08 20:31:51

I read that feminax had changed recently - they took out the hyoscine (lovely floaty stuff imo) as I think it gave some people a reaction. Basically it is just codeine and paracetamol now I think.

I don't suffer massively now, but if I feel the cramps starting I always take something straight away, rather than wait and see if it might get worse. I find nurofen no good, paracetamol or aspirin a bit better.

orangehead Sat 30-Aug-08 20:41:14

I take mefenamic acid, a prescribtion one. It also helps reduce bleeding if you heavy

moaningminnie2020 Sat 30-Aug-08 21:54:23

naproxen has just become available over the counter, its like ibuprofen but stronger, think it's marketed as feminax plus or something like that. Would be able to take cocodamol with it if you wanted and it was suitable for you?

I used to use feminax before they took the hyoscine out too, but spent most of the last 2 years PG or BF so not been having the joy of period pain much latelygrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now