Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could these be symptoms of a underactive thyroid

(3 Posts)
lostittoday Thu 28-Aug-08 21:51:13

Hi
I was diagnosed with hypothyrodism last Novemeber and my tsh has never been within normal range yet, tsh was 8 2 months ago and t4 was 15 and I am due for another check shortly.
However over the last 2 months I have not felt right with feelings of fuzziness and a feeling of weakness in limbs coupled with pulsating type feelings in body and head.
I also tire very easily and find exertion such as going up the stairs difficult.
I also get spells of nausea and of being lightheaded.
My symptoms do appear to come on alot at night and for the past number of nights I have been waking up with numbness in my fingers the feeling does eventually come back.
I know I have not been lying on my hands or anything so do find it unusual.
I was referred to a endocrinologist who dismissed me as menopausel based on some blood tests I had done.
I said that I had not heard of the menopause causing some of the symptoms I am experiencing but she simply said that it affects women in different ways however she did increase my thyroxine.
I was not too keen on this endo she was a bit I am the expert don,t question what I say.
However some of the feelings and sensations that I have been getting worry me at times in case they are due to anything else.
Just wondering if anybody has experienced syptoms like this with a underactive thyroid.

MuthaHubbard Fri 29-Aug-08 19:53:20

One of my symptoms is the numbness you describe in hands at night, I sometimes wake up having no feeling in them at all. This was really bad and painful before I was diagnosed and has eased a lot but I still get it now and again. My other symptoms included tiring easily (before I started thyroxine, I would have to have at least an hour or two sleep every afternoon/early evening), inabililty to concentrate, as well as my hair falling out and despite running/gyming regulary, no weight loss.

I do have my levels checked every six months and am 100mg dose at the moment which, touch wood, has sorted out the majority of symptoms.

misi Fri 29-Aug-08 22:49:38

lostit, yes, all that you describe is not under control thyroid. if your TSH was still as high as 8 only 2 months ago, your endocrinologist is not doing it right, ask for a second opinion or ask to see another endo, she aint much use, don't know what she is talking about I am afraid. I get a lot of the symptoms you say, and I have been on 150mcg for 6 years now with my TSH between 1.4 and 2.3. I should stay around 1 my original endo said but I have only just got back to him after the one who took over a couple of years ago was total crap and I proved he did not know what he was saying or doing and I have reported him to the BMA!!
but I have have asked for some bloods do be tested for something else which may be the actual cause of the under active thyroid, my endo said, 'why did I not think of that' grin
with a TSH of 8 and a T4 of 15, your endo should know what the problem is, to me it suggests a pituitary gland problem rather than a full blown thyroid problem, maybe she need to read abook on the subject?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now