Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any experience of short (100mm) small intestine out there?

(4 Posts)
LilRedWG Thu 28-Aug-08 21:50:27

My Mum was taken into emergency surgery at the weekend as her small intestine was knotted and dying. The long and the short of it is that she survived surgery (just) but is left with only 100mm of small intestine.

Does anyone have any experience of this and what quality of life will be like for my Mum?

As those of you who know me can probably tell, I'm shocked into an uncharacteristically short post. I think it's starting to hit home just how close I came to losing my Mum.

TIA.

lljkk Fri 29-Aug-08 06:02:12

I have no experience, but I remember Frank Gardiner (sp?) the BBC correspondent who was shot up in Saudi Arabia, has the same situation. He wrote about in his autobiography and is managing to live okay with it, I think, though has to be careful what he eats.

I think a relative has something similar because she had a stomach staple and then her intestines went septic (known risk of stomach staple). Similar thing, she has to be careful.

hth a teeny bit

Hethbell Fri 29-Aug-08 06:10:05

Hi, Itdepends on the surgery really. Sometimes you have to take enzyme supplements due to a shortened digestive tract but you have metres of bowel so hopefully should not be complicated a recovery. Spend all the time with your mum that you can. My mum died just before i moved to OZ. She had been young(ish) still working and fit. Treasure them it is the only mum you have got. Hope she is well really soon.

LilRedWG Fri 29-Aug-08 08:33:48

Thanks both. I'm so sorry for the loss of your Mum Hethbell. I came very close to being in the same situation as you and do truly treasure her. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now