Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! Funny spasms in right eye.

(8 Posts)

I woke up this morning with what feels like a tiny hammer in the inside of my eye. I've had it before but only for a few seconds at a time and usually when I'm tired.

My right eye is my only good eye as my left is a bit pathetic and has very little vision.

Should I be concerned? Or am I being a bit hypochondriac?

whispywhisp Thu 28-Aug-08 18:05:01

Do you wear glasses? I get this a lot with my left eye. It's a lazy eye and I tend to forget to put glasses on. It sounds like your eye is just very tired. If its your right eye thats got the spasm its probably making up for the fact your other eye isn't very good vision-wise so your right has become over-tired. I wouldn't worry about it. As I say I've had it a lot and it can go on and on and get very annoying! Also using a computer a lot in poor light doesn't help mine.

Thank you for your reply, whispywhisp.I do wear glasses, I have a balancing lens in the left eye though and I waer contact lenses but only one contact lens for my right eye. I think you are right about it being tiredness. I just worried because I'm so conscious that if anything did ever happen to my right eye I'd be stuffed.
Have to cut down on the mumsnet, I guess smile

TheFallenMadonna Fri 29-Aug-08 10:24:32

I get this when I am tired, stressed or have been overdoing the caffeine. But on the outside of my eye. It can go on for quite a while.

Thank you, TFM, (hello agin!). Yes, Tiredness coupled with caffeine is probably to blame.

TheFallenMadonna Fri 29-Aug-08 10:47:15

Oooh - am I stalking you?

I do hope so TFM. I could do with some excitement in my life right now.

whispywhisp Fri 29-Aug-08 10:56:40

Whenever I get the spasm in my left eye I keep away from the computer for a few days. I also make sure the screen is well away from the computer drive cos otherwise it flickers too much (the picture). I had the exact same problem with the spasms going on forever - I'd wake up with them and have it going on every few minutes all day long. It does get me down sometimes cos you worry other people can see it when its so hard to see. Mine usually occurs when I've not been wearing glasses - the eye also aches a lot when its tired. I think the key is not to over-do it with your eyes and to make sure when you do use your PC that you do it using good light. Also make sure the screen is positioned correctly - ie directly in front of you not to one side so to strain the eye that has to look the furthest, iykwim!

smile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now