Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recurring Bad Stomach

(9 Posts)
SheikYerbouti Thu 28-Aug-08 09:00:20

I am on tummy bug ( well, I think it's that) no 4 since June. Normally, I might get one every other year, if that [cast-iron constitution]

This one is a baddy.

I am on day 3, and I can't eat anything. I am in pain and I feel like shite. I have had the D&V (again) and all I want to do is curl up on the sofa. However, I have to work and I have 2 small kids to look after - that's not an option, sadly.

Why am I getting these time after time? And why, when I eat does it set off terrible volley of stomach pains?

gingerninja Thu 28-Aug-08 09:02:54

I think you should visit the Dr and get some high strength probiotics. Perhaps your gut needs a boost in order to fight the bacteria.

If it's any consolation, dp, ds and I have been like that all farkin summer.

Don't know whats going on gp says we are 'unlucky' hmm.

Hope you feel better soon.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 28-Aug-08 09:05:38

What are you eating/drinking? If you still have D&V on day 3, I think you really have to go to the BP rather than go to work.

Does everything that you eat trigger off pains?

When I was first being diagnosed with IBS the GP told me to fast for 24 hours, in order to get everything out of my gut - I think it was to rule out something bacterial.

Just drink water (and Dioralyte might be helpful)

SheikYerbouti Thu 28-Aug-08 09:17:51

I can't esat anything because everything I eat gives me pain. I can't even drink water without it happinuing

I am working at home today, so not in office thankfully. Still in dressing gown. But I HAVE to go in tomorrow, or I'll be up shit creek (no pun intended)

Im not chundering now, but I am stil Ding a bit.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 28-Aug-08 09:54:16

Go to your GP - definintely - you should get this looked at.

And if you're ill, you're ill! Shit creek will just have to wait for you.

SheikYerbouti Thu 28-Aug-08 09:58:10

They are not sympathetic

Plus I don;t get sick pay and we can't afford to lose anything this month

JammyQueenOfTheSewers Thu 28-Aug-08 10:12:03

I've been having D on and off since a bad bout of D&V beginning of July. When get an "episode" even drinking water sends me of to the loo 5 mins later. Sent a sample to the doc last week, get the results tomorrow.

I really think you should see your GP too!

gingerninja Thu 28-Aug-08 11:07:48

I suffer stomach probs a lot with IBS but I had a stomach virus or something a few years ago that was absolute agony. My stomach (not colon area, higher up) was constantly cramping and I was doubled over. Couldn't possibly have worked through it. I couldn't eat or drink without it happening either. I couldn't move.

I went to the Dr and he prescribed buscopan (which you can buy otc now) which helped with the cramping. He couldn't find anything wrong. I didn't really have any D&V though but perhaps a trip to the pharmacist and talk to her/him about the anti spasmodics or what ever they are might get you back on track. Since that episode I feel more vulnerable to it and have had similar though not as bad cases since hence why I think it might have been viral.

Some probiotics wouldn't hurt though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now