Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had TATTOO REMOVAL done privately by BUPA/Spire ?

(12 Posts)
NomDePlume Thu 28-Aug-08 08:17:16

I have a small (50p sized) black tattoo at the top of my right arm which I want to have removed. It is about 11yrs old and is in pretty good condition (only just started to spread very, very slightly). I have enquired at my local BUPA centre and am awaiting literature.

Hopefully it can be removed by lazer treatment. To be honest if I had to go down the surgical excision route then I wouldn't bother having it done as the scarring is often as bad as the tattoo itself (it would be in my case, my tattoo is not an embarrassing one).

If you have had it done via any of the treatment options (lazer, dermabrasion or surgery) please could you tell me about it ?

How big/old was the tattoo ?

Are you pleased with the results ?

Has all trace of the colour disappeared from your skin?

Would you recommend/not recommend the treatment pathway you chose ?

How painful was it and what was the recovery time (not just time spent in hospital)?

How much did it cost ?

TIA smile

liahgen Thu 28-Aug-08 08:24:11

i had my name at the top of my arm when i was 16! Yes i know..hmm

Decided to have it removed 4 yrs later, paid £550 private Harley str clinic. Surgical. As in they cut around tattoo, peeled off skin and sewd up.

supposed to leave hairline scar, i didn't know i was prone to Keloid scars then. Am left with what looks like large bcg mark.

That was 20 yrs ago. hth

liahgen Thu 28-Aug-08 08:24:54

would not reccomend but probably less painful than laser.

NomDePlume Thu 28-Aug-08 08:28:04

thanks liahgen

Backgammon Thu 28-Aug-08 08:29:55

/i've had it done but not at the places you mentioned.

i'll answer the qs anyway:

- about 8 cm diameter/8 yrs old
- yes but not finished as stopped treatment due to pg
- almost (will be when finished)
- I had laser which was really effective. Did have one session of this too, would not recommend - left some small scars
- Less painful than having it out on, like being flicked with an elastic band/you go straight home after treatment and have to keep it dry for i think a week but no real recovery. You can't get it in the sun during treatment.
- It was about £60 a session I think, needed about 10 sessions.

NomDePlume Thu 28-Aug-08 08:32:01

Thanks backgammon. £600 seems reasonable to me.

NomDePlume Thu 28-Aug-08 08:32:51

How much time did you have to leave between sessions, backgammon ?

NomDePlume Thu 28-Aug-08 08:32:55

How much time did you have to leave between sessions, backgammon ?

Backgammon Thu 28-Aug-08 08:35:41

Think it was about 8 weeks NDP.

NotDoingTheHousework Thu 28-Aug-08 08:35:42

Message withdrawn

NomDePlume Thu 28-Aug-08 08:38:12

Yes please NDTH, that would be great.

It sounds much more affordable than I was expecting, tbh.

NomDePlume Thu 28-Aug-08 08:40:51

DH doesn't want me to get rid of it, unexpected really as he is the original clean living ex public school boy. I guess I am his bit of rough wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now