Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

You know those little bumps you get on your upper arm?

(20 Posts)
SuperBunny Thu 28-Aug-08 00:59:00

What are they?

How do I make them go away and not come back? I want nice smooth arms like I used to have when I was 20. I don't have many bumps but have noticed that lots of people do.

AvenaLife Thu 28-Aug-08 00:59:42

Ingrowing hair or the white ones?

thumbwitch Thu 28-Aug-08 01:00:16

vitamin deficiency. either vit C or one of the Bs, I will go and check and get back to you.

LynetteScavo Thu 28-Aug-08 01:01:06

I think it's a B deficentcy.

Lubyloo Thu 28-Aug-08 01:06:20

It sounds like keratosis pilaris

SuperBunny Thu 28-Aug-08 01:06:44

OH, B deficiency? Will take my vitamins then. That's easily solved.

Not ingrowing hairs or white, just bumpy

Thank you!

thumbwitch Thu 28-Aug-08 01:11:14

B and C vits so take a multivit. And make sure you are getting all your essential oils as well to give you lovely velvety skin!

SuperBunny Thu 28-Aug-08 01:12:17

'Horny Plugs'

Yuk

but thanks for the link!

SuperBunny Thu 28-Aug-08 01:15:27

Ok, I just had a multivitamin, crackers smothered in Marmite and a glass of orange juice. I will expect perfect skin in the morning!

Lubyloo Thu 28-Aug-08 01:16:55

Sound nice don't they wink. I have found my arms get less bumpy in the summer when wearing short sleeved tops.

thumbwitch Thu 28-Aug-08 01:18:53

lol Superbunny - it might take a day or 3 to work through!! (probably about 2 weeks tbh)

oggsfrog Thu 28-Aug-08 07:42:58

I used to get these years and years ago and used a pumice stone and lots of moisturisers blush I didn't realise it was a vitamin deficiency.
<runs hand up and down backs of arms> Haven't had it for ages though.

ThatBigGermanPrison Thu 28-Aug-08 08:08:10

It's keratosis pilaris, it's a genetic 'condition'. It's not harmful, is very very common (I have it myself) and the only thing that has EVER helped is very regular exfoliation and exposure to sunlight. It will go with age, when the production of new skin slows down/

ThatBigGermanPrison Thu 28-Aug-08 08:08:56

It's not a vitamin deficiency, you can be as well nourished as well nourished can be - if your genetics say you will get it, you will get it.

QuintessentialShadow Thu 28-Aug-08 08:14:56

I have had this for the last couple of years. But it is getting better the last two weeks, actually after I stopped stuffing myself with too much food and icecreams and cake. I have lost 4lbs, done a lot of exercise, showered using mild showergel, and Vaseline Intensice Care to moisturise. And my arms are nearly smooth again. Funnily, I was just thinking about this last night!

ClosedForCleaning Thu 28-Aug-08 08:25:53

I mis-read the dry skins conditions as "itchyosis" which made me chuckle. Much better description than"ichthyosis". It should be changed!

thumbwitch Thu 28-Aug-08 09:17:20

if it is there all the time, it is probably keratosis pilaris.
f it is something that has just started, then it is more likely to be the vitamin deficiency - as you have just posted this for help, I would think this is the more likely scenario.
Taking the vits certainly won't hurt and will probably help so I would take the vits and see what happens.

toadette Thu 28-Aug-08 10:20:01

Ds1 has mild keratosis pilaris on his face and arms and I read that Omega 3 oils are very beneficial. As it is an ongoing struggle to get him to eat oily fish, I started him on a supplement and there was a noticeable difference within a week.

SuperBunny Thu 28-Aug-08 19:32:17

So this is one of the few things that gets better with age. Hmm.

I always exfoliate but will slather on more moisteriser and keep taking the vitamins in the hope that something will help.

I think sunshine does make a difference but now it's autumn and before I know it, I'll be bundled up for 6 months. People here get rickets due to lack of sunshine in the winter. Perhaps little bumps are not so bad.

cornsilk Thu 28-Aug-08 19:33:53

You can get rid with exercise- weights and stuff, exfoliation and diet. Try body pump - good for the arms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now