Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Help - I have just found this hard lump -any doctors out there?

(11 Posts)
worrybum Wed 27-Aug-08 18:37:09

It is next to my ear where the jaw opens and closes. I found it because the area is tender when i put moitsturiser etc on so I had a feel.

Now I know I always worry but this is really freaking me out. It doesn't feel like a swollen gland because I can't move it.

I do have rosacea on that side of my face that has flared up quite a bit so could it be anything to do with that?

I just did the stupid thing and googled and now I'm worried sick it could be something sinister.

nell12 Wed 27-Aug-08 18:39:34

You do have a gland there, so it could be that.
Is the area hot or red? It could be a blocked cyst

worrybum Wed 27-Aug-08 18:42:21

doesn't feel hot just sort of bruised but no bruising there IYKWIM

SmallShips Wed 27-Aug-08 19:02:28

Not a doctor, but i quite often get hard lump things there, on both sides. They feel a bit like spots, but deeper and harder. I dont notice them when i look in mirror. I'd see your GP if you're worried though, just to put your mind at rest.

worrybum Wed 27-Aug-08 19:08:22

thanks smallships - are they tender to the touch? can you move them? this feels pea sized - god I'm such a worrier

babyignoramus Wed 27-Aug-08 19:29:40

Could it be fluid on the joint? Like when you get a ganglion on your wrist. I think if you can move it around (rather than it being 'fixed' in place) it's likely to be fluid, but I'm no expert...

worrybum Wed 27-Aug-08 19:31:50

don't think so - i can't move it around it is hard and fixed.

aliasdictus Wed 27-Aug-08 21:28:47

Hi, there are lots of glands around there that can increase and decrease in size, depending on what caused them, often an infection from a tooth or ear etc. However, from the position you describe it might well be a little lump from the Parotid gland, one of the salivary glands. These tend to appear as small pea sized non-tender firm lumps. They are generally benign but very gradually - over years- increase in size. They don't spread and are not nasty so I wouldn't worry. The next stage is to see your GP who will probably refer you to an ENT surgeon, but, as I say, there is usually no desparate urgency and try not to google, it causes much unnecessary anguish.

emma1977 Wed 27-Aug-08 21:42:21

Does it feel as though its within the skin, or does it feel deeper and the skin move over it? Is it tender to touch?

May be an inflammed skin nodule, an inflammed lymph node, a fatty swelling (lipoma), a sebaceous cyst or a stone or swelling within your parotid gland. Unlikely to be anything really nasty.

Get it checked over by your GP if you're concerned.

Don't google- it will probably tell you it's something hideous and scary!

worrybum Wed 27-Aug-08 21:56:25

no doesn't feel like it's in the skin. It stays in the same place , it is quite deep and the skin moves over it. it is tender to touch, in fact that's how i noticed it, because my face felt almost bruised

ummadam Wed 27-Aug-08 22:20:07

it sounds like a lymph node that has become inflammed - probably due to the rosacea. Don't panic, make a routine appointment with your GP to ask them to take a look and try very hard not to touch it until then as prodding them repeatedly (as we all do if we are worried about something) tends to make them more inflammed --> more worrying --> more prodded --> more inflamed and so on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: