Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does teething cause an upset tummy?

(11 Posts)
Beaker2 Fri 18-Feb-05 15:32:41

My 4 month old's poo has recently become markedly more unpleasant - smellier and runnier. He's breastfed and also starting to teethe. Someone told me that teething does cause a bit of an upset tummy, does anyone know if this is true - can't see why the two would be linked. Thanks

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 18-Feb-05 15:34:31

Yeah, it's something to do with more acidity. You may find he might get nappy rash as well from the urine.

Helsbels Fri 18-Feb-05 15:38:47

teething can cause anything from projectile vomit, temperature, sloppy nappies, nappy rash, fever, earache, and just about anything else - do not be surprised. Equally do not not put everything down to teething, watch diarrhoea in tiny babies as it can quickly lead to dehydration. Also, watch your diet, are you eating anything new? particularly spicy or drinking more alcohol?

Chandra Fri 18-Feb-05 15:41:00

Yes, it does and many other apparently unrelated things.

Beaker2 Fri 18-Feb-05 15:44:27

hmmm nothing new in diet, do drink a glass of wine most nights but have done that for a while ...

thanks for comments, it isn't diarreah (sic!) as such, just nastier than before

NotQuiteCockney Fri 18-Feb-05 15:44:58

I've seen runny poo with teething before, hadn't known vomiting came with it too - would explain the vomiting festival we had this morning with DS1. Oh I just love the first year.

Sponge Fri 18-Feb-05 15:49:05

It might cause runnier nappies and certainly can lead to nappy rash but not diarrhea or vomiting. There are 20 teeth to come through in about 18 months so there's a good chance that they'll be teething a bit, a lot of the time, so other illnesses are bound to coincide and the temptation is to put everything down to teething.

Helsbels Fri 18-Feb-05 15:51:55

both my ds's have had projectile vomitting with EVERY tooth sometimes one but more usually multiple incidents. They have not seemed to have a lot of pain, thank goodness but definately sick.

janx Fri 18-Feb-05 19:06:54

my 5 month dd is teething and starting having diarrohea - which everyone said was due to teething - however it turned green! - a trip to the doctors suggested it was a bug and could last for 2 weeks - and yep it is still going 10 days later!! I wouldn't put everything down to teething

blueteddy Fri 18-Feb-05 19:38:02

Both of my ds's have had horrible runny, smelly nappies when they are cutting a new tooth.

CarrieG Fri 18-Feb-05 19:42:11

Ds has done an 'Exorcist' twice on me in the last 24 hours, also nappies full of unbelievable liquid foulness - & he definitely has a tooth pushing through.

Seems perfectly chirpy in himself so I'm not too worried it's anything else...could do without the washing machine being disconnected by builders given the horrible festering nappies & bucket full of pukey clothes...bleh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now