Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Apart from being pg or in the menopause, are there any other reasons for AF going awol?

(14 Posts)
BecauseImWorthIt Wed 27-Aug-08 12:13:48

Have missed one AF (end July/early August), which was actually great because it was when I was on holiday, and there is no sign of this month's AF either. None of the usual signals (tender/sore boobs, bad skin, irritability).

I can't be pregnant as DH had the snip some years ago. And I have, in any case, had absolutely no symptoms.

I am (very) shortly to be 49, and therefore I think this a symptom of the menopause. I have suffered the occasional hot flush over the last couple of years, so suspect that I'm at least perimenopausal.

DH is worried about me though and wants me to go the GP, which I think is unnecessary. But he's been so insistent now I'm worrying myself!

So is there any other reason why I could have lost AF twice in a row?!

AtheneNoctua Wed 27-Aug-08 12:29:34

Maybe you are too skinny? smile

belgo Wed 27-Aug-08 12:30:44

Sudden weight loss or being underweight.

Or stress.

singyswife Wed 27-Aug-08 12:31:24

I would say menopause. Or stress???? Run it passed the gp but tbh if you dont have any other symptoms then I would defo go with the menopause. Lucky you!!!!!

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 27-Aug-08 13:46:34

Definitely not too skinny, especially after being very badly behaved on the diet/drinking front whilst on holiday!

Don't think it could be stress as it has happened over my holiday.

I really think it's the menopause!

scorpio1 Wed 27-Aug-08 13:47:33

diet change
Exercise being upped
Travel
Have you recently moved in with/another woman stayed with you?
Stress
depression

Lazycow Wed 27-Aug-08 13:51:30

My periods just stopped almost 2 years ago (I'm 43) and I have accepted that I am menopausal. Blood tests were a bit borderline but they aren't always clear cut. My Gp said that one of the ways menopause is defined is the absence of periods for a year or more in a woman over 40 yrs old.

BeachBunni Wed 27-Aug-08 15:03:42

Can also happen when the body is under physical stress rather than mental stress. My mum had a couple of operations on her leg and her periods stopped for good - that was the only reason the doctors could think of as all her hormone tests came back to say she wasn't going through the menopause.

SubRosa Wed 27-Aug-08 15:30:01

I'd go to the GP, get him/her to do blood tests, to check hormone levels. Unless you've got any odd symptoms such as pelvic pain, or going to the loo every half hour, I wouldn't think there's anything seriously wrong. (Not that I'm an expert).

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 27-Aug-08 16:34:11

"diet change
Exercise being upped
Travel
Have you recently moved in with/another woman stayed with you?
Stress
depression"

Yes to two of these:

diet change - normally follow a low carb diet, but have been massively off piste since on holiday

travel - yes - 2.5 weeks in Australia, followed by 3 days in San Francisco

asteamedpoater Wed 27-Aug-08 19:38:18

My periods stopped for a couple of years from age 18-20. No reason for it found - hadn't changed diet, wasn't overly stressed, hadn't upped exercise, etc. Hormone tests said my hormones were low-normal. They then came back for no known reason and I've had regular periods ever since (also had regular periods from age 12 to age 18). So, frankly, I think there is sometimes no explanation, although if you are 49, early menopause sounds the most likely.

MuthaHubbard Fri 29-Aug-08 20:04:32

thyroid checked? my AF was all over the place just before I found out I had an underactive thyroid.

Blandmum Fri 29-Aug-08 20:13:47

at 49, it wouldn't even be considered an 'early' menopause.

The average age of Menopause in the UK is 50. $9 would be in the normal range. Also remember that the perimenopausal period can last a while, with periods being missed, then returning for a while,only to go missong at a later date.

the menopause tends to be a gradual process

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 31-Aug-08 22:13:13

As you were, all!

AF decided to re-appear on Friday. The very day we were due to go camping (thankfully only overnight).

I think you're right, MB - this is no doubt part of the gradual 'ease in' to the whole thing.

Anyway, at least I'm not pregnant! Having turned 49 on Saturday, more babies was not on my agenda.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now