Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

so whats the difference between a physio and a chiropractor (sp?)

(7 Posts)
Tobermory Wed 27-Aug-08 10:58:04

and who do i need to see.

Have a really sore back, has been painfoul for at least the last 8 months and gettign worse. My back aches all the time, some days it feels really bruised and painful and i dont walk but waddle like an old lady . the most comfortable position ifs layign on the floor but with a dying to be toddling 16mo that doesnt happen. Im going back to work next week and if it feels like this i dont know how i will manage.

Have been to nhs physio, and no disrespect to any nhs physios, but it was sh**. Nor could he recommend anyone else who i could see.

so, whats the difference between a chiropra ctor and a physio, who can mend me?

thelustystalker Wed 27-Aug-08 11:01:19

chiroprators specliase in the spine and all its workings. Physios mainly deal with muscles all over the body and how they support the bones.

My DP has a chronic back condition and sees a chriopractor regularly to avoid his lower vertebrae fusing together. He has huge comfort now (and will need treatment all his life but is totally normal).

A good chiropractor will also be able to offer a spine x-ray to help diagnose the condition.

thelustystalker Wed 27-Aug-08 11:05:29

in the beginning, the treatments were faily 'rough'. They will align your spine by manipulating the verterbrae. You might hear crunches and cracks but once you get used to that its totally fine. It sounds dangerous but really its fine. My DP had to go 3 times a week for a few months until his spine was overhauled, now he just goes every 8 weeks or so to maintain it.

It can help loads of problems, depression, migraine, as well as back roblems. It can provide a better flow for all the fluids the spine handles thus allowing them to reach the brain and body much better.

nickytwotimes Wed 27-Aug-08 11:14:41

IME, it doesn't matter what they are called, it's how they practice that matters. I have a fab physio on the nhs now and have also found one very good chiropractor amongst many bad and sometimes dangerous ones. Best bet is a personal recommendation from someone with similar problems to you.

Whatever you do, do not pay anything in advance. There are some disreputable practitioners who say you will need x number of treatments and charge hundreds befor eeven beginning properly.

Also, try to get someone who is continually updating theier training. Methods change constantly as more effective ,athods are found. I used to have to get 8 sessions or more, now it's 2 or 3 and I'm sorted for another few years.

Good luck. Back pain sucks! Hop eyo uget some help soon.

Tobermory Wed 27-Aug-08 11:19:20

I would much prefer the personal recommendation but dont know anyone with back probs too!

thelustystalker Wed 27-Aug-08 13:57:19

I second getting a recommendation.

You could get a recommendation/referral through your GP. He/she must know of a clinic that specialises or at least a phone number of someone decent. What area are you in? You could always start a thread for a recommendation within an specific area.

On the payment DP pays as he goes, never been asked for a lump sum up front.

Tobermory Wed 27-Aug-08 14:20:05

Lusty, good ideas tahnks. Am going to docs tomorrow for alternative pain relief, will ask then.

Payment - couldnt afford a lump sum right now anyway, supposed to be watching the pennies this month. blush except then i went to the hairdressers!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: