Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Keep having to take deep breaths.....

(12 Posts)
DrNortherner Tue 26-Aug-08 23:00:06

anyone else get this?

Every few minutes I keep having to take a deep breath, or yawn. Feels like I am running out of air.

Nothing serious. But just feels odd. Only do it when I think about it, not when occupied. Is it in my head? Am I a weirdy?

Or could it be asthma or something?

emma1977 Tue 26-Aug-08 23:02:39

No, just you being conscious of your own body and its workings, instead of being on autopilot.

Its more common when you get anxious or stressed.

.....or maybe you're a weirdy!

DrNortherner Tue 26-Aug-08 23:03:46

Really? Oh, that's interesting. Thanks smile

thornrose Tue 26-Aug-08 23:06:08

You need to breath in through your nose and out through your month, breath right into your stomach.
It is a bit like when you think about swallowing then feel you can't do it! Is it possible you are maybe a bit anxious about something subconsciously!
I get it sometimes, it's not pleasant.

thornrose Tue 26-Aug-08 23:07:06

your mouth, for gods sake

charliecat Tue 26-Aug-08 23:07:34

Hmm I felt lke this when I had pluerisy(sp?)
Are you otherwise ok?
Can however relate to doing it when feeling stressed.

giraffescantdancethetango Tue 26-Aug-08 23:28:07

I was like that when my granny died, felt like I wasnt quite getting enough air all the time, lasted a few months. (I was only 14 at the time though and didnt really understand why it was happeneing)

So could be stress related?

onebatmother Tue 26-Aug-08 23:35:04

It sounds rather like hyperventilation, DrN, which is a common response to anxiety or stress. It feels as though one isn't breathing enough, but in fact one is breathing too much - which means that one can only breathe rapidly and shallowly.

The thing to do is to slow down one's breathing, but is a bit of a vicious circle, because becoming aware of one's own breathing tends to make one more anxious.

Something I read recently said that the best solution was not, in fact, to concentrate on breathing slowly, but to do somehting which took one's mind off breathing - absorbing task, book, exercise, singing.

I've found that laughing always helps (really).

I;ll see if I kept the link to that website, hold on.

onebatmother Tue 26-Aug-08 23:59:32

damn, can't find it, sorry - didn't bookmark it. I'll keep looking and link if I find it tomorrow.

aliasdictus Wed 27-Aug-08 01:06:48

I can assure you that it is absolutely nothing to worry about, incidentally, not pregnant are you?

DrNortherner Wed 27-Aug-08 09:22:02

Thanks for the comments guys, seems to make sense.

But no I am not preggars!

loopylou6 Wed 27-Aug-08 11:06:39

yeah i get this when stressed, it feels like i need to take a deep breath all the time, but i can never get to the really satisfying part of the deep breath IYGWIM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now