Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

my DD has been given Trimethoprim can she have calpol too?

(27 Posts)
onlyjoking9329 Fri 18-Feb-05 14:24:48

shes been to docs and he thinks it maybe a urine infection but hard to tell as DD isnt really able to answer any questions, will say yes to all questions, anyway wanting to know if she can have calpol to bring her temp down, anyone know

onlyjoking9329 Fri 18-Feb-05 14:34:15

anyone? i have looked on google and cant really find the answer

Fastasleep Fri 18-Feb-05 14:38:06

yes! yes she can mine's on it...

Marina Fri 18-Feb-05 14:39:28

Or nurofen, which we find is quicker to reduce our children's temps than Calpol. Both are safe with trimethoprim, as Fastasleep says.
Hope she feels better soon. Trimethoprim is very quick to act.

Fastasleep Fri 18-Feb-05 14:39:32

As long as she has no existing kidney damage (as my son does) she can have the normal dose, as it is with my son he's still allowed half doses so she'll be fine

onlyjoking9329 Fri 18-Feb-05 14:42:50

oh thankyou thankyou thankyou, my DD is hardly ever poorly so i do worry when she is so obviously poorly, i just wish she was able to tell me whats wrong with her as always having to guess, will go and do battle with the calpol, how long does the trimethoprim take to see any improvements ?

Fastasleep Fri 18-Feb-05 14:45:46

I wouldn't know about the length of time really as Theo was on it to stop him getting urine/kidney infections in the first place whilst he was having and getting over an operation... but I think it must be pretty fast acting, a couple of days will probably do it although she might need to stay on a week or two to avoid having the symptoms come back..

onlyjoking9329 Fri 18-Feb-05 14:46:12

what i dont understand is that she only has to have twice a day, isnt AB's usually 4 times a day
not thats i am complaining, i mean its hard enuff getting her to take any medicine, we do it kitten style, i wrap her in a towel and she glares at me

Fastasleep Fri 18-Feb-05 14:47:57

It's stronger than your average AB... not that I've ever noticed any side effects and Theo was on it for 9 months! He just needed 1 ml a day to ward off the infections.... about 2 mls twice a day for a week after his op... don't worry about the small dosage

Marina Fri 18-Feb-05 14:49:05

Trimethoprim is technically an antibacterial drug rather than an antibiotic and is only prescribed twice a day IME. We have also have amoxycillin, definitely an AB, prescribed twice daily for dd, I don't think you need to be too worried about it onlyjoking. She should be feeling loads better by tomorrow.

Marina Fri 18-Feb-05 14:49:59

I didn't know they were stronger fastasleep, that's interesting. It certainly clears up cystitis in adults in hours

Fastasleep Fri 18-Feb-05 14:50:41

Ah Marina I forgot the subtle difference it was on the tip of my tongue when typing the message though lol!

Fastasleep Fri 18-Feb-05 14:51:16

I still have the suspension in the cupboard for when I get it

onlyjoking9329 Fri 18-Feb-05 14:57:51

she been given 10 mls to be taken twice daily, thanks for all the info

joesy Fri 18-Feb-05 14:58:32

She can have calpol. Trimethrprim is just one of many antibiotics. urinary tract infections are usually treated by this antibiotic. Different bugs react better to different antiobtics.

Marina Fri 18-Feb-05 15:03:11

You're surely not doing a Lynette and self-medicating with your children's drugs Fastasleep?

Fastasleep Fri 18-Feb-05 15:04:41

Oh Marina if I could I would! ADHD medicine sounds fantastic lol

Marina Fri 18-Feb-05 15:07:18

Doesn't it. Glad to hear I'm not the only one watching and wondering if she was on to something in a big way there...

Fastasleep Fri 18-Feb-05 15:08:10

I actually found out about that before desperate housewives....from a desperate nurse friend of mine but I've never done anything quite as naughty as that!

Marina Fri 18-Feb-05 15:09:17

Aha! So it's known thing then is it? I wondered if they had completely made it up!

Fastasleep Fri 18-Feb-05 15:13:34

It's basically speed you know... they just one day found out that the brains of people with ADHD react in a totally opposite way to it than we would... I wonder who tried that one on a hyperactive child - someone very brave I think! Lol

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 18-Feb-05 15:15:18

Drinking Cranberry juice helps to clear up UTI's as well.

Marina Fri 18-Feb-05 15:16:17

Benzedrine used to be routinely prescribed as a pick-me-up for tired mothers, didn't it? whyohwhyohwhy did that have to change?
Feel it may have been a male doctor who gave the first ever ADD medication out...

onlyjoking9329 Fri 18-Feb-05 15:28:16

my DD has autism but not ADHD, i hope she will be ok on this stuff

Fastasleep Fri 18-Feb-05 15:29:31

Oh onlyjoking honestly she will be fine! It's so safe don't worry at all we're just having a bit of a mad afternoon around here...or I am anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now