Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

has anyone else got an, erm, sensitivity to latex <ahem>?

(9 Posts)
gigglewitch Tue 26-Aug-08 22:11:58

c'mon, this is mumsnet, you can tell it like it is.
Just that i'm wondering if it's a huge coincidence that i keep getting itches and / or UTI's every time i have a close encounter with a certain brand of latex.....

zippitippitoes Tue 26-Aug-08 22:13:16

its quite common both bf and me were starting to get this so stopped using condoms

proper latex allergy isnt unusaul

suwoo Tue 26-Aug-08 22:15:39

My friends DH has, they can't use condoms or have to get special ones? He can't use rubber gloves or be in the same room as a balloon either freak wink.

emma1977 Tue 26-Aug-08 22:15:47

Not uncommon at all. Sometimes its the latex, sometimes its the lubricant that causes sensitivity reactions.

Try latex-free or stick with a brand that don't irritate.

gigglewitch Tue 26-Aug-08 22:21:19

<<off to google the latex-free option until can get better solution>>

can condoms actually cause the uti's though?
<dimwitch>

emma1977 Tue 26-Aug-08 22:32:01

Condoms don't cause UTIs per se, but the (ahem) friction of sex can push bugs up your urethra and cause infection. Anything that affects the friction (usually making the vagina drier) can make the urethra more sensitive and exposed to bugs. Certain sexual positions can predispose to UTIs too.

emma1977 Tue 26-Aug-08 22:38:17

Durex Avanti are latex-free and offer good sensitivity. They are also compatible with any lubricant as they are made of polyurethane and don't rot with oils like latex condoms.

Catilla Tue 26-Aug-08 22:53:34

I once had a UTI and doc suggested it probably had to do with the friction/roughness in that area, as emma said. Was advised to wee after sex to wash the bugs out - have done so every single time since (15 yrs!) and no more UTIs...

gigglewitch Tue 26-Aug-08 23:08:22

thanks emma & catilla wink

exactly the sort of advice needed. Cheers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now