Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Got stung in the neck by a wasp at lunch time and it is still swollen and itchy as hell

(13 Posts)
singyswife Tue 26-Aug-08 20:14:30

Is this normal????? The only times I have been stung before was as a child. Is it normal for it still to hurt (not unbearable hurt, I am not a wimp but I am aware of it) and be swollen and itchy as hell??? I can take antihistamine for it if that would help I just wondered if anyone knew if it was normal after this long. Thanks

singyswife Tue 26-Aug-08 20:19:14

?

singyswife Tue 26-Aug-08 20:24:54

someone please advise.

fluffyanimal Tue 26-Aug-08 20:25:47

Normal. I got stung by nettles at lunchtime and they are still itchy and raised, so I'd expect a wasp sting to feel bad for a good 24 hours - I haven't had many wasp stings in my life but IIRC they hurt like feck. Wasps are bastards.

singyswife Tue 26-Aug-08 20:28:53

They are bastards. Thing is though they dont bother me at all. I dont mind being stuck in the house with one or whatever. I was innocently bending over to pick up my dd in the playground when it went for me. Little shit. Thanks for answering though.

fizzbuzz Tue 26-Aug-08 20:55:22

Hmmm not sure it is normal. The two times I have been stung by a wasp it has done his and I ended up going to GP.

Only cn't remember what he said as I was 13 at the time, but not sure it is normal.

I think just a small swelling round the area is normal, although I would expect it to hurt still.

Speak tp pharmacist in the morning, and take anti-histamines to stop itching

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 27-Aug-08 08:48:33

hope its feeling better now

I think some people do swell up more than others - got stung on my upper arm in the arm pit last year and much of the upper arm swelled for a good fortnight despite antihistamines. I'll echo going to get something reasonable from the pharmacist.

wasps are bastards, the one that got me - I was showing dd how if you sit still and don't flap about then they leave you alone. The little ** deliberately went for a particularly sensitive area to prove me a liar. The whole pub heard me shriek!

CoteDAzur Wed 27-Aug-08 08:52:58

Stung in the neck! shock The fact that you are still alive means you are not allergic to wasp stings and will be fine.

sammysam Wed 27-Aug-08 09:44:21

I was stung on my thigh 13 days ago (it was a small wasp!) it swelled up quite a lot was bright red raised hot and itchy (like hell) it then went purple and a week after it happened i got a red raised rash around the area that had swollen and gone down. Didn't take anything for it as i'm breastfeeding, but put some bite relief stuff on it (didn't do a thing). I can't remember that ever happening before (although it must be a good 15 years since my last one)
I'd say go to docs if it is really bothering you-there'll be something they can give you i'm sure.
I think they have mutated and become more potant over the years-that or i've just become a major wuss grin It really did hurt and itch though!

Myfairone Wed 27-Aug-08 12:08:33

I got stung a week ago. The thing is still itching me! I put H45 on it (cortisone cream) and when that didnt work I tried Sudocrem...worked a treat! Slap the stuff on and let it do its magic!

I sat in a meeting and was asked why I was rubbing my arm up and down the chair...very embarassing! Hurt like hell but was begging to be scratched!

Hope you feel better today.

THey are feckers aren't they. I got stung about a week ago and it's still itchy too. Perfectly normal I think but sympathies anyway smile

MadameOvary Wed 27-Aug-08 12:20:46

I sprayed beconase on a colleague's wasp sting - she said it helped a lot.

singyswife Wed 27-Aug-08 12:25:31

Hiya thanks for all the replies. It is still swollen and itchy as hell. I have taken anti histamine and have been putting sting cream on it but it is still itching. Never mind. Maybe I need to go out wearing full body armour from now on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now