Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ok, so rang docs for results of chest xray and i have an enlarged rib cage...

(28 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Tue 26-Aug-08 16:59:14

doc wants to see me asap but no appointments until thurs or fri hmm what can it be? have googled and there doesnt seem to be any info out there!

BCNS Tue 26-Aug-08 17:09:33

lissie are you the poster who could feel the rib??

OracleInaCoracle Tue 26-Aug-08 17:11:06

yes, there is a noticeable lump on one of my ribs, they thought that i had cracked it.

BoysAreLikeDogs Tue 26-Aug-08 17:12:45

Crikey lissie, not a clue.

Good luck.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 26-Aug-08 17:13:48

thanks. im a bit worried tbh

BCNS Tue 26-Aug-08 17:26:10

awww sorry it didn't turn out "noraml" as such. don't really know what to say other than good luck.

I'd only say try and stay away from gogle.. you might get very worried about not much.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 26-Aug-08 17:26:11

any clues?

OracleInaCoracle Tue 26-Aug-08 17:27:43

xpost, thank you. tbh there doesnt seem to be much info on google and i dont know what to think. all kinds of things are going through my mind!

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 26-Aug-08 17:36:55

oh gosh. Will watch with interest as ds2 has a lump on a rib- I've googled to ridiculous amounts before and never been able to find much out.

Good luck. I think the delay in seeing you means it cant be anything too sinister. If it was they'd see you outside appointment times.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 26-Aug-08 17:41:15

thanks jimjams. i have noticed that my rib cage is larger since having ds but i assumed that was because he was so big and im so small. have you taken your dd to the docs? my lump is hard and immobile.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 26-Aug-08 17:51:00

Yes- have shown doc a couple of time and also asked a physio. They said they didn't want to x-ray unless it grew (it hasn't- it;s been the same size for years now) , but if he needed a chest x-ray for other reasons to ask someone to check. The did check his spine was straight.

His is just to the left of the breast bone. on a lower rib. It's hard and immobile as well. The only likely thing I found that really fitted was that one side of the rib had grown faster than the other side.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 26-Aug-08 18:13:01

couldhe have cracked a rib? thats what my doc thought mine was.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 26-Aug-08 18:33:03

bump for ayone who might know what it could mean.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 26-Aug-08 18:34:49

That's what a chiropractor thought as well. But it would have happened as a baby if so. He did have a slightly complicated birth (c-section but I had lots of scar tissue and bladder adhesions and it was a fairly complicated delivery because of it so it's possible).

OracleInaCoracle Tue 26-Aug-08 18:42:39

thats crap. why dont they want to xray?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 26-Aug-08 18:55:48

Well because they think it's really unlikely to be anything, and for a child a chest x-ray is a big old dose of radiation. I'm fine with the decision tbh as I'm funny about x-raying the kids - and ds2 has already had two totally pointless leg x-rays so I'm happy to lay off them.

The GP was good and if it ever changes I'll go straight back to them, but it has been the same for years.

He did had whooping cough around the time I first noticed it so maybe it is an old cracked rib?

I will be interested to hear what they say though. I really doubt its nasty though if they're happy to leave you until Thursday. Have you got an appointment booked?

OracleInaCoracle Tue 26-Aug-08 20:02:13

no, all the appointments are booked so i have to call thurs morning. not allowed to see a different doc though, have to see my own.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 27-Aug-08 07:46:47

anyone have any ideas?

OracleInaCoracle Wed 27-Aug-08 08:36:35

?

LilRedWG Wed 27-Aug-08 09:12:36

Crap Lissie. Why didn't you tell me last night - you bad girl!!!!!!

I agree with the others though - if it was truely terrible news then the GP would see you out of hours. Fingers crossed for you. x

OracleInaCoracle Wed 27-Aug-08 09:18:42

sorry, youve got enoughon your plate.

i know that the gp would make a bigger effort to see me if it was serious, but im a bit wrried that i HAVE to see my own gp.

LilRedWG Wed 27-Aug-08 09:33:50

Maybe he has spoken to someone at the hospital has the low down and wants to give it to you first hand, rather than another doc give you the information 3rd hand.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 27-Aug-08 09:35:26

youre probably right. the lump is def bigger though sad

tink123 Wed 27-Aug-08 09:35:37

I would have thought if it was serious, he would see you same day. they can squeeze you in if needed.

OracleInaCoracle Wed 27-Aug-08 09:45:38

thanks, im sure youre right!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now