Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Jaw Splint

(11 Posts)
Aimsmum Fri 18-Feb-05 10:58:03

Message withdrawn

Fastasleep Fri 18-Feb-05 11:15:11

Dislocated jaw! A splint!! You poor thing! Sorry no help but that sounds really awful, I'm amazed you managed to live with it for a week! I'd have been running to my doctors sobbing lol...I hope someone comes along to ease your nervousness about the splint... I'm sure your dentist will know ways to stop the clenching once they've fixed your jaw... they usually make little plastic things to fit over your teeth while you're asleep, which should train your mouth into not doing it in the day too... best of luck!

Aimsmum Fri 18-Feb-05 12:13:49

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Fri 18-Feb-05 16:26:05

Message withdrawn

Fastasleep Sat 19-Feb-05 16:01:04

Sorry no one's replied! Can't think why... it can't be that horrendous!

Aimsmum Sat 19-Feb-05 18:46:00

Message withdrawn

Ameriscot2005 Sat 19-Feb-05 18:51:04

I have a splint that I wear (or am supposed to wear) over my top teeth at night. It really does help with clicking and neck pain.

I've had orthodontia for TMJ as well

Aimsmum Sat 19-Feb-05 21:09:41

Message withdrawn

Ameriscot2005 Sun 20-Feb-05 13:37:45

It's easy to get used to it - it fits perfectly, so it shouldn't slip off and you shouldn't need to keep sucking it back on.

Yes, I think it does help, but you won't really know until you try.

One scary thing about a splint, my dentist (private) charges £650 for a splint [shock} - about 10x his charge for a sport's mouthguard (they look the same).

For daytime clenching, I find that chewing gum is effective.

Aimsmum Sun 20-Feb-05 17:03:41

Message withdrawn

saffy202 Sun 20-Feb-05 19:06:02

I wear a mouthguard at night to stop grinding my teeth. I used to have a creaking jaw but it no longer does. Just had a replacement one made and it cost £30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now