Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Aargh - woke up covered in bites

(38 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 11:33:35

can't work out whats bitten me. cats are flea free and besides dh is the one who gets bitten by fleas first - he is fine.
Went out blackberry picking yesterday so could be from that? was fully clothed though as it was cold.
Bites are concentrated round backs of knees, groin area (soooo itchy!) and where my bra goes, particularly round straps. Even boobs are bitten nothing on arms though some of my scrateches from thorns are itching.
What with that and psoriasis all over my trunk and legs the itching is driving me NUTS.

sympathy or thoughts please

Uriel Tue 26-Aug-08 11:37:05

What sort of bites?

<lots of sympathy, a hot cup of tea and some anti-itching cream>

slavemum Tue 26-Aug-08 11:37:27

lots of sympathy smile
Are they definately bites? maybe some piritin or something for the itching.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 11:41:24

red bumps, some with a yellow head on them and lots have growing red patches around them.

Going to do wonders for my psoriasis this outbreak. - tis the sort of thing that triggers a guttate flare in me.

thanks for the tea and sympathy and cream am going to go and eat blackberry jam to console myself

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 11:42:36

They feel like bites slavemum but they look a bit odd - very red but with pale red circles around them rather than my usual bite style which is just big red bumps with a peak.

Portofino Tue 26-Aug-08 11:42:39

You get my sympathy. We've had this for weeks! I'm not sure if we have midges or mosquitos - definitely not fleas. I have a plug in zapper in the bedrooms, squirt dd nightly with repellent so she's not suffering too much. Windows shut at night so it's swelteringly hot. Lavender oil on the duvet covers. Taking vitamin B complex as that is supposed to deter them. But all in vain - you could do a dot to dot on my legs at the moment.

I live in Belgium not somewhere warm and tropical so it's not bloody fair! We're off to South of France in 3 weeks and it's bad enough that I'm still white this summer without being covered in big red blotches....I'll look SOOO attractive on the beach....blush

Uriel Tue 26-Aug-08 11:44:45

Tick bites?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 11:48:52

I thought about ticks Uriel but surely they wouldnt all come up overnight with no evidence of ticks? I've about 30 bites.

Had windows closed last night as we had a big scary hornet trying to get into the house.

Porto that sounds dreadful! You poor things.

Uriel Tue 26-Aug-08 11:56:04

Have you tried looking for images of similar bites?

slavemum Tue 26-Aug-08 11:57:40

ants? though sure u would notice ants in your bed.
Maybe go to chemist and show them, they may be able to suggest something that wont affect you psoriasis.
poor you, sounds so sore sad

Uriel Tue 26-Aug-08 12:11:50

Could you have been bitten by ants yesterday, not noticed hmm and then the bites came up overnight?

That way, it's not bed bugs.

<helpful>

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 12:34:11

lol at sneaky ants!!

can't get to chemist today but if they are bad tomorrow then thats a really good idea - thanks

in an interesting twist one in my groin area has not developed a slightly yellow blister. Looks rather like pox. But I have no temp, feel well - not sure if i've had pox before... mum has said yes once and no once, but my sister had a really good bout so I've probably had it....

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 14:50:07

decided def not pox - clearly a being daft moment! must be something I picked up with the raspberries
/scratches a little

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 15:17:55

doh - blackberries not raspberries!

I think I've worked it out
When I lived in the states we used to get chiggers in long grass - and the bites happen around areas of thin skin or round waistbands etc.
Well it seems that here we have harvest mites which apparently are particularly abundant on chalk downs - where we were yesterday. I was quite enthusiastic in leaning in deep into bushes to get my berries.

makes yesterday quite bizarre as dd found britains largest snail and we were hounded by a huge hornet.
Who says you don't get interesting things here.

interesting stuff halfway down page

going to take a hot bath incase I still have any - bleugh.

Uriel Tue 26-Aug-08 15:31:03

I'm not sure I should have read that page! Lots of interesting biting things about. shock

<scratches>

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 16:02:27

it is a bit shock isnt it - really hadnt occured to me to even think about ticks never mind bitey mite things. Was vaguely aware that
ugh.
Am convinced thats what the bites are - they look just like the pictures and they are in the classic places. I do notice though that theres no mention of bites on boobs!

Next year we are going covered in insecticide.

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 22:24:16

my bites are going mad with lots of satellite bumps and red rings around them. Got anti-histamine cream but I think I might lose the plot with itchiness

MegBusset Tue 26-Aug-08 22:36:11

Are you sure they're bites? Sounds like it could be hives?

In any case, take some Piriton...

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 22:43:34

the bites are def bites but I think the bumps around them are a hives reaction. cream not helping though.
Think I'll have to take clarityn as I've had a beer tonight

Beauregard Tue 26-Aug-08 22:49:46

Sounds like Hives
When dd2 had them was the same

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 22:53:19

your poor dd - bad enough being an adult with these, loads itchier than mossie bites and some are huge now....

Beauregard Tue 26-Aug-08 23:05:34

They are horrid
Poor you
Hope they feck off soon
x

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 27-Aug-08 08:34:24

Thanks

twas an itchy and scratchy night last night. dh has 3 or 4 but he doesnt dare complain after seeing mine. Ah well, got a busy day today, should keep my kind of them

slavemum Wed 27-Aug-08 09:46:56

saw your link very late last night and have been scratching all night at imaginary bugs!!
Hope your feeling better today smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 27-Aug-08 12:09:38

Sorry about that blush

Some of the bites are looking really angry and big today.They are a bit weepy so I'm desperately trying not to scratch them. I found one right next to my nipple too - looks like I've grown a third nipple shock Not showing that one to the pharmacist!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now