Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can taking the pill make you depressed?

(16 Posts)
npg1 Mon 25-Aug-08 22:12:19

Hi. I took the pill a few years ago, microgigon (or similar spelling!) and became very depressed on it, it turned me into a monster. Stopped taking it and then had another baby, had PND after she was born. Gone back on the same pill again, told doc I didnt want same pill as worried it would make me depressed and she said it wont and it was probably something else triggering the depression. Been on it for a month and a half and starting to feel depressed again, ok have alot going on in my life but could this be making me feel worse? Should I go back to GP?

TotalChaos Mon 25-Aug-08 22:14:25

yes it could, particularly since it had that effect last time. Unless you want to switch to another pill, I wouldn't bother going back to GP but would just stop taking it and use other forms of contraception.

RedHead81 Mon 25-Aug-08 22:15:35

or try your local family planning?

bratnav Mon 25-Aug-08 22:16:23

Go to the GP, I have so far had 6 different pills since having my DDs (and PND), the one I am on now seems to be ok, but the rest made me either weepy, mood swingy or really horrible to be around.

On the bright side, when you find the right one it is such a relief

MrsTittleMouse Mon 25-Aug-08 22:18:53

Yes, I became depressed on the pill. It was very clear - it started during the first month that I went on it, and cleared up over the three months after I stopped. The GP did question me about other causes though - he was concerned that I was being beaten up by BF (now DH). I was a bit embarrassed about it, as obviously that wasn't in issue at all, but also glad that the GP was clued into that kind of stuff as I know that it gets overlooked a lot by medical professionals.

Jodyray Mon 25-Aug-08 22:19:01

Microgynon turned me into a nutjob!! I have switched to Yasmin a year ago and its fab, its the only one thats ever agreed with me. My GP also said its one of the more expensive to prescribe so thats why others are given 1st? Another bonus is that i have not put any weight on with this one!

IAteDavinaForDinner Mon 25-Aug-08 22:20:40

The pill definitely can be depressive. It totally zaps my libido and makes me feel fat, crap and terrible. And shit. Go back, go back, go back until they get it sorted

AvenaLife Mon 25-Aug-08 22:21:49

Yes, I get depressed on the pill. Go back to the GP and he'll give you something else.

LynetteScavo Mon 25-Aug-08 22:23:50

In my experience, yes the pill can make you depressed.

I have been fine on the mini pill though.

MrsMattie Mon 25-Aug-08 22:24:06

Yes, I took various different brands of combined pill and they all made me feel wretched. Stopped taking it for that very reason.

npg1 Mon 25-Aug-08 22:48:21

God, im so cross that GP gave me the same pill again after i expressed my concerns that the pill made me a nutjob! I dont feel as bad as before but then again only been on it a month. Worried if i go on a different one I will be worse. GP said to me this is the one they normally prescribe so it should be fine, yeah right!

EasyRider Mon 25-Aug-08 22:52:50

i was on the same one as you mentioned for years with no effects,

had dd recently and wanted to go back on but needed the mini pill as i am bf,

in 5 days of starting it i was a crying mess,

stopped taking it and felt normal again,

i think we all react differently depending on which one suits us,

maybe ask the gp for another brand and failing that look at other contraception methods

EyeballsintheSky Mon 25-Aug-08 22:53:05

Microgynon here too and I was a nutjob with zero sex drive for the entire 6 years I was on it. Unfortunately that coincided with the first 5 years of my marriage and came very very close to wrecking it. I was a changed person when I came off it but had no idea that was causing the problem until I read similar stories from others.

dancedance Mon 25-Aug-08 22:54:24

Microgynons the cheapest which is why they always start you on that, sent me nuts on it as well. I'd expect my doctor to know about the pills possible side effects and change me as soon as I mentioned it wasn't working for me and you're hasn't sad
It's trial and error with the pill really, hopefully if you start feeling crap on a new brand you can now recognise this and come off straight away so don't be scared to try. The mini pill was the one for me in end, good luck

dancedance Mon 25-Aug-08 22:55:16

yours* blush

BlaDeBla Tue 26-Aug-08 19:11:55

I haven't taken the pill for decades because of its effect on my mood. It's a known side-effect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now