Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

?Lyme disease - MUST I have treatment??

(6 Posts)
Mummyfor3 Mon 25-Aug-08 21:51:28

I was bitten by a tick in Germany about 4 weeks ago, did not think much of it, but developed a painfree purplish lump around the bite which is now flatter and paler. It went a bit scaley, and today I discovered a pale, pink "halo" around it, about 2in in diameter. I gather this can be a sign of Lyme disease?? I am entirely well and I am still exclusively BFing my 5 month old DS so am not terribly keen to take Tetracycline if I do not have to.

Is it worthwhile "riding it out" to see if I will or will not develop symptoms? How reliable are blood tests.

Any advice from people who know about this (docs and sufferers) gratefully received. BTW, I have made appointment to see my GP as well.

Without worrying you unduly, you are doing the right thing by seeing your GP. It is entirely possible you simply have local tissue infection but Lyme's is an unpleasant and debilitating disease and the earlier it is diagnosed and treated, the better. Definitely see your doc (and make sure they are clued up, as many are not).

Might be helpful

MrsBergerac Mon 25-Aug-08 22:36:24

I agree. You MUST see your GP. Lyme disease can be quite debilitating without treatment. It may be that you don't require treatment at all, but only a qualified health professional can decide that.

AvenaLife Mon 25-Aug-08 22:39:18

Your GP needs to sort this out. Don't ride it out as there is no knowing what damage could be done to your body.

MmeLindt Mon 25-Aug-08 22:41:59

Are you still in Germany? The docs here are extremely knowledgeable about this as it is so common here, particularly in the southern areas of Germany.

I echo the other poster, please do get it seen to. If it is Lyme disease, it can have long-term effects and the sooner it is treated the better.

misi Mon 25-Aug-08 22:51:04

short and sweet, yes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now