Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rheumatoid Arthritis

(8 Posts)
speckyfoureyes Sun 24-Aug-08 18:37:20

hello
I just wondered if there is anyone else in my shoes?
Have RA for 2 years now,not improving despite taking a host of medicines that make me feel crap!Find it hard sometimes to keep up with family demands when I'm in pain,does anyone have any suggesytions for good pain relief?sad

McDreamy Sun 24-Aug-08 18:39:22

My nan has had RA for years now. She swears by acupuncture. Not sure how often she has it now but I know for ages she only had to go twice a year and use paracetamol every now and then in between. She had it done on the NHS too, could you ask your GP?

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 24-Aug-08 18:49:07

About to have dinner so am replying so i can find the thread later I've psoriatic arthritis, I'm fortunate that its pretty mild though it doesnt always seem that way.

misi Sun 24-Aug-08 21:25:53

General health :psoriasis - cream used in continentsl europe but not here - any ideas please?

have a look at this thread

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 24-Aug-08 23:04:56

misi means this thread - sorry not had much time to post today - making most of unrainy weather

speckyfoureyes Mon 25-Aug-08 22:20:06

Not tried accupuncture,worth a try,getting to point I'll try anything.
Am injecting myself with so called wonder drug anti-tnf but no improvement.some days its all too much of a struggle and even getting dressed takes forever.Think kids get annoyed that we don't do the swimmimg and theme parks like their friends do.
Have put on loads of weight(steroids haven't helped) and feel low about my appearence,esp when I' limping and walking like a 90 year old

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 25-Aug-08 22:28:10

You've got it really rough by the sounds of it

I can sympathise with the limping - I only do in a bad flare and it feels so stupid and obvious when I do.

Accupuncture is a good idea - my local nhs physio has offered it to me, so it might be worth looking into. Perhaps physio may be able to help you with some aids to make life a little easier too.

Have you looked for any RA forums?

nooka Mon 25-Aug-08 22:33:06

Acupuncture has some research credentials for pain relief, so well worth a try. My mother found cutting out caffeine worked really well for a while. The other thing that helps her is to do swimming exercises (she has a list of all the local aqua aerobics classes) .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now