Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Am I under-reacting? .. would you take a 4 year old to the doc if

(23 Posts)
Twiglett Thu 17-Feb-05 19:04:39

They had come down with a cold bug on Saturday afternoon

since saturday he has

barely eaten (2 slices of cucumber is a struggle all day.. he loves cucumber)
coughed till he puked every night (once or twice) but only bile / phlegm
has gunk (white) coming out of his eyes
is snotty constantly
seems tired (with periods of activity few and far between)
is feverish at night and coughs when lying down (phlegm down back of throat)
seems better in morning

.. just want to check whether I should be going to docs or not

Cod Thu 17-Feb-05 19:05:02

Message withdrawn

Cod Thu 17-Feb-05 19:05:14

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Thu 17-Feb-05 19:06:04

how long did it take

(DD has it too now .. snot-gobbler and feverish)

big family do this weekend ...a rrgghh

Cod Thu 17-Feb-05 19:06:45

Message withdrawn

NotQuiteCockney Thu 17-Feb-05 19:06:46

I wouldn't bother, as long as he was still taking fluids, seemed reasonably alert from time to time, and wasn't madly feverish (that wouldn't go away with drugs).

You know the docs will just say "it's a virus", which is code for "go away".

Cod Thu 17-Feb-05 19:06:57

Message withdrawn

Whizzz Thu 17-Feb-05 19:07:04

Is he drinking OK - I think as long as they get enough fluids it shouldn't be too bad. But if it drags on much longer I think I'd want a medical view, even if it was the health visitor or practice nurse. You could ring NHS Direct ?

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Thu 17-Feb-05 19:12:33

Oh coddy you are so posh "wed to mon inclusive.

coppertop Thu 17-Feb-05 19:13:16

I took ds1 to see the doctor yesterday. He's had this for about 10 days now and looks awful. It's a virus that's doing the rounds and there's not a lot the doctor can do. The thing to watch for is if (like ds1) they get dehydrated.

macwoozy Thu 17-Feb-05 19:18:25

My ds also had this last week, although it only lasted about 3 days, I got quite worried also, high temperature and gunk in his eyes also. But in no time at all he was back to his cheery self. I've rang NHS Direct a few times before, It's good for abit of reassurance.

Gwenick Thu 17-Feb-05 19:29:47

The only thing with the gunk is to check it's not conjunctivitis - perhaps give your dr.s a ring (ours do a 'call back' thing for non urgent things) and in the last week I've had two prescriptions for eye drops for my DS's and it's cleared up really quickly - if it is Conjunctivitis school/nursery won't have them back until it's cleared up as it can be infectious

WideWebWitch Thu 17-Feb-05 19:56:49

I prob wouldn't take him either Twig as long as he's drinking and doesn't seem desperately ill to you. They sometimes do lose their appetites when they're ill don't they?

misdee Thu 17-Feb-05 19:58:09

dd2 has been snotty gor about a week now, and hyer eye is gungy, but it always does go gungy when she is ill, has done since she was a baby. seems perectly fine in herself tho.

Cod Thu 17-Feb-05 20:09:57

Message withdrawn

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Thu 17-Feb-05 20:10:46

I can almost hear your voice cod

Is your house really like Hyacinth's????

Cod Thu 17-Feb-05 20:12:10

Message withdrawn

marthamoo Thu 17-Feb-05 20:34:31

<You know the docs will just say "it's a virus", which is code for "go away">

NQC, you never spoke a truer word!

ThomCat Thu 17-Feb-05 20:37:14

what is the GP going to do for him, prescribe some antibiotics, no, I wouldn't bother. Mums know best.

marthamoo Thu 17-Feb-05 20:38:40

We do, don't we ?

ThomCat Thu 17-Feb-05 20:42:41

Errrrr, yes, errr we do, no really, well, I know best once i'VE CHECKED WITH MUMSNET! [GRIN]

sorry about the caps

Twiglett Thu 17-Feb-05 21:13:39

just how I feel TC .. I know what I should be doing, as long as the court of MN agrees

DH is less than no use he just shrugs and says 'take him if you want to'

marthamoo Thu 17-Feb-05 23:30:02

Oh well, that goes without saying. I do nothing without running it by MN first

Shall I go to bed, btw, I've been up since 5.30 and will probably be up same time tomorrow and my eyes feel like pissholes in snow...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now