Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pea-sized lump behind ear, at the top of neck

(10 Posts)
DCsnatchsunhill Sun 24-Aug-08 11:37:32

DH has the above. It is a pea-sized hard lump, definately not a spot or start of a pimple.

I thought it was the general rule of thumb to get any pea-sized hard lumps checked out at the Doctor, whereas DH is rather blase and wants to wait to see if it goes.
It's Sunday night here in Oz at the moment...so I'm wondering whether to insist DH goes to Dr's in the morning. Anyone have any knowledge or experience of this?

Lomond Sun 24-Aug-08 11:38:59

My nephew has had this, think it was a gland but nothing to worry about, nothing was done about it anyway. Check with docs to be on the safe side?

BBBee Sun 24-Aug-08 11:40:28

lymph nodes?

these swell to produce white blood cells if your body has been run down or fighting something.

have you been ill recently?

insect bites?

hazeyjane Sun 24-Aug-08 11:42:38

Has he been ill lately? My Dh had something like this when he had a virus, and the gp said it was a lymph node, which can swell up when there has been an infection or illness. There might be a picture on google.

If not, i don't know, I'm a big scaredycat about lumps so always go to the doctor, but know that men can be a bit rubbish about this.smile

DCsnatchsunhill Sun 24-Aug-08 11:42:46

Ooh, yes he has been ill for the last week, although he started to feel better a few days ago. I never thought that it might be linked to lymph nodes. Oh, might calm the worry down a tad....

DCsnatchsunhill Sun 24-Aug-08 11:44:55

Thanks all - off to Google lymph nodes. If no better in a few days, I'll still encourage him to go to Dr's to be on the safe side.

NotDoingTheHousework Sun 24-Aug-08 11:48:18

Message withdrawn

DCsnatchsunhill Sun 24-Aug-08 11:50:47

Thanks NDTH!

wickedwitchofthenorth Sun 24-Aug-08 22:33:15

My son (8) has a lump like you describe. I checked it out with the doctor and he said there's no cause for concern. It has been there a good few years now, never gets bigger but never goes away.

Best to get it checked out though just to be on the safe side.

Men are rubbish at going to the doctors aren't they !

giraffescantdancethetango Mon 25-Aug-08 00:18:28

I get this alot when ill, sometimes even when I dont feel very ill at all. hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now