Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

has anyone heard of this before?

(17 Posts)
AnnieSG Thu 17-Feb-05 16:09:34

My friend's d/s is just about to turn two. He's caucasian but last night his hand literally went black. She took him to hospital and they are really puzzled...he hadn't put anything on it.
She's really really worried and I just wondered if anyone out there had ever come across anything like this before?
Any thoughts very gratefully received.
thanks

Ameriscot2005 Thu 17-Feb-05 16:10:26

Anthrax? (only thing I can think of where your skin turns black)

AnnieSG Fri 18-Feb-05 12:13:44

Well I don;t think it's anthrax! But thanks anyway.
Anyone else got any thoughts? It's just his fingers, apparently, and only one hand.

CrazyandConfused Fri 18-Feb-05 12:16:39

Rhinards syndrome or circulation problems? my brother had Rhinards syndrome(hope the spelling is right!) made the toes on one of his feet go blue!

Snugs Fri 18-Feb-05 12:21:51

Only thing that springs to mind - and thats because a neighbour has it in his toes - is gangrene! Turns out he as a blood clot stopping the circulation.

Blu Fri 18-Feb-05 12:24:21

I hope the hospital are on to it.

The only thing i have seen like this is the feet of people who have been living on the street - from cold, I suppose.

Hope he's ok.

Sponge Fri 18-Feb-05 12:31:39

FGS don't pass on any of these ideas to your friend. She must be worried enough without thinking he might have Anthrax or gangrene!
I'd have thought the hospital would have thought of things poor circulation or poisoning related so that doesn't seem v likely.
How weird.

joesy Fri 18-Feb-05 12:34:02

Fingers crossed he is okay. Hopefully the hosp will come up with something. Did they keep him in?

Gobbledigook Fri 18-Feb-05 12:37:15

I just googled and got septicaemia - I'd think it strange though if no other symptoms.

givenupforlent Fri 18-Feb-05 12:38:08

is it painful? could he have cracked a bone inhis hand and it is internal bruising?

Blu Fri 18-Feb-05 12:38:55

Our suggestions don't get any more re-assuring, do they !

Chuffed Fri 18-Feb-05 12:45:04

Any news?

AnnieSG Fri 18-Feb-05 14:05:46

Thanks so much for all those responses. Still a total mystery though. The hospital ran some tests, then sent them home telling her to come back if worried again. I also read about septicaemia and gangrene...He's very well in himself though. Not bruising, because it comes and goes. It's one of those situations where you worry the hospital aren't taking proper care, but she hasn't suggested that and said they were great. Will write again if anything changes.
thanks again anywyay

shortcake Fri 18-Feb-05 14:15:19

Raynauds syndrome - when the circulation stops in your fingers? but DOES come back!

Snugs Fri 18-Feb-05 14:18:46

With Raynauds the fingers go white, not black - unless it gets extreme and leads to complications.

AnnieSG Fri 18-Feb-05 14:26:09

I've heard of Reynauds, but thought it was adults, mainly women in fact, who got it. Seems they've tested for some kind of rheumatic problem - not sure what though.

givenupforlent Fri 18-Feb-05 18:05:44

about 15 years ago i had an insect bite to the ankle which became infected and swollen and very red which started tracking up my leg. In addition the top of my foot was swollen but also very bruised and didnt hurt when i was walking on it but it was absolute agony and became very badly bruised once i had stopped moving it . I went to A&E and i think they just gave me ABs. I wondered whether the swelling may have cracked a little bone and hence the pain and bruising. However I felt absolutely crap - fever headache the works

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: