Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I use a Canesten cream that is still within use by date but has been open for months?

(3 Posts)
suiledonn Sat 23-Aug-08 18:02:56

I'm 28 weeks pregnant and been driven mad by thrush. I saw the midwife yesterday when it wasn't too bad and she told me to get Canesten cream and come back after the weekend so she could take a swab. I got the 1% cream but it has got worse since yesterday. I have a tube of 2% cream that is well within the use by date but it has been open for months. Would it be safe/effective to use now? Thanks

BeachBunni Sat 23-Aug-08 18:07:30

Yes, as long as you've washed your hands before using it, it shouldn't be contaminated. If it doesn't go away, when I was pregnant the doctor prescribed me the tablet (which is great). It says not to use in preg but he told me you can use it once with no probs.

AuntieMaggie Sat 23-Aug-08 18:08:31

I would use it for now better than getting scratched to death - but would squeeze a bit out and throw it away first (to get rid of the bit that might have been exposed to air previously).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now