Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD has grit under her toenail! Looks rather manky!

(9 Posts)
pinkbubble Fri 22-Aug-08 21:24:10

She stubbed her toe at a water park the other day.

Her toenail has turned white, at the top of her toe is all grazed. I keep on cleaning it very carefully, but tonight I noticed she has still got grit under her nail. Also her toenail moves when I was cleaning it. Its rather gunky and smelly.

Poor thing, we are on holiday at the moment in France, have said to DH, that if it gets any worse tomorrow then we should seek medical advice. We have been using ordinary sticky plasters, but today I bought some cotton gauzes and micropore, now I am worrying that the gauzes will stick to her toe, as its weeping.

We are not having much luck on the health side at the moment, what with DD and her toe and me and my mosquito bites!

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 21:27:32

It sounds like the toenail's about to come off, she must have split it at the base. If it's gunky and smelly then it sounds infected. It really does need a clean out by a nurse. Is there a hospital/clinic you can take her to close to where you are staying?

eleanorsmum Fri 22-Aug-08 21:27:33

bath it in bolied water with a little salt added, will help reduce manky ness and soak out the grit. if yellow puss (sorry!) then i'd seek medical advice. (salt water was what i had when i had my toenails removed, long story!) hope shes ok!

pinkbubble Fri 22-Aug-08 21:35:57

Thanks for the info.

Will try the salt water tomorrow as she is already in bed and asleep! (I am so not going to wake her after last nights sleepless night!) I have bought an antiseptic spray and gave it a really good spray and let t dry throughly before putting a dressing on it.

Poor DD is 8, she is terrified of losing her nail, but I think its going to happen sooner rather than later!

I will definately get her checked tomorrow if its as gunky as it was tonight! Just worried that I can see grit under her nail.

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 21:40:25

If there's a problem in the nail bed then antiseptic spray won't get down that far. If it's loose then it sounds as though it's coming off anyway. The grit won't be helping. I shut my thumb in a car door a few years ago and snapped my nail, it fell off so I put a artificial nail over the top. Keep it as clean as you can and take her to a clinic tomorrow if you can. If not bathe it in warm salt water.

AvenaLife Fri 22-Aug-08 21:40:31

If there's a problem in the nail bed then antiseptic spray won't get down that far. If it's loose then it sounds as though it's coming off anyway. The grit won't be helping. I shut my thumb in a car door a few years ago and snapped my nail, it fell off so I put a artificial nail over the top. Keep it as clean as you can and take her to a clinic tomorrow if you can. If not bathe it in warm salt water.

pinkbubble Fri 22-Aug-08 21:43:15

Will do Avenalife. Thanks

pinkbubble Sat 23-Aug-08 09:58:27

Have had a really good look at DDs toe this morning, although it has weeped over the night, it already looks 100% better than it did last night. Obviously the plasters were making it sweat, and the cotton gauze have really helped dry it up!

Have bathed it in salt water this morning, and will continue to do so for the next few days.

At least she slept last night! So her toe must have been a lot more comfy!

eleanorsmum Sat 23-Aug-08 10:44:53

glad shes doing better, keep up the salt water twice a day at least but in the mean time keep it covered and dry. hug for her! and you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now